Respected Contributor

Re: :) Foods Each USA State Is Known For (:

NY - Pizza (Thin slice)

Chicago - Deep Dish

Respected Contributor

This is an interesting list. I can see tea for South Carolina in that it has a plantation. It also has rice. I am surprised not to see peanuts, she crab soup, rice (red or brown) and BBQ. They have four different types of BBQ.

I think the best tomatoes ever are the ones grown close to you and allowed to ripen on the vine. There is nothing like a home grown tomato.

California produces the most peaches followed by South Carolina.

Oh and don't forget the pecans.....

Thanks for sharing

doxie

Frequent Contributor

@JDJ555 wrote:

@Goldengate8361 Maybe this?

"Cheese dip is considered to be an important part of Arkansas’s food culture. Not only is cheese dip more popular in the Arkansas area than in other parts of the country, but some claim that the original cheese dip was invented either in North Little Rock (Pulaski County) or Hot Springs (Garland County).

According to Nick Rogers, who has researched the history of cheese dip, the dish was invented by Blackie Donnely, the original owner of Mexico Chiquito restaurants. The Mexico Chiquito chain, which now has multiple locations in central Arkansas, was opened by Donnely and his wife in North Little Rock in 1935. Whether or not Donnely’s cheese dip was the first is hard to say, but his restaurant is indeed famous for its secret recipe."

http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=7990

I have lived in Arkansas most of my life. I remember eating cheese dip at Mexico Chiquito in Jacksonville when I was growing up. (I don't live near MC restaurant now.)

The cheese dip most people make at home is Velveeta and Rotel. I have read that more Rotel is sold in Arkansas than in any other state - not sure if that is true or not.

Respected Contributor

For Georgia, Let's add a Coca Cola and these:

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Frequent Contributor

Seriously? I live in Washington state and have never even heard of Pho soup. We have always been known for our abundance of apple orchards. Very strange list.

Honored Contributor

rickiraccoon wrote:

Seriously? I live in Washington state and have never even heard of Pho soup. We have always been known for our abundance of apple orchards. Very strange list.

It was a rather odd list.   Ignorantly, I suppose, I just figured it was going to be a list of what foods grow in each state, not what fast food, and such, that people mostly eat there.   Well, I guess that's the new reality.  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When you think of Maine, it is always lobster (love lobster rolls), but I have had wonderful haddock in Maine. There is a little local restaurant in Rockland that serves the best haddock.

Respected Contributor

I tried to heart the poster that said this is a strange list but it kept telling me "authentication failed."  Anyway, I thought California would be known for avocados, or wine, or iceburg lettuce.  Not In n out burger!  Also, Illinois should be known for hot dogs!  (Chicago dogs)  Also, Ohio perogies or chili!  Florida oranges!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have to add, Virginia ham!  Washington apples,  Alaska king crab

and Kentucky bourbon

Honored Contributor

California: In-N-Out

Though the In-N-Out vs. Shake Shack debate may never end, any west coast native will agree that a Double-Double Animal Style will always satisfy your needs. That’s what a hamburger’s all about, and California sure wants everyone else to know it.

I would change this one. Growing up in northern California, In-in-Out Burger only existed on the t-shirts worn by my friends from Southern California.  It's only in the last 15-20 years that they really expanded into northern California and even more recently that they became ubiquitous there. That doesn't seem long enough to be the one food that represents an entire state.

But maybe that's the problem - California is so big and there's a big difference between northern and southern California. I'm not sure I could come up with one thing to represent the entire state, either.