Super Contributor

Re: :) Foods Each USA State Is Known For (:

@meallen616 wrote:

For New York it should be...

@meallen616 That looks SO good I wish I hadn't seen it lol!

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@meallen616 wrote:

New Jersey is known for great tomatoes too!

I wouldn't have chosen Salt Water Taffy for NJ. I would have picked Pork Roll/TaylorHam!

and  blueberries too not the taffy

Respected Contributor

I would think Texas is BBQ! 

-Texas Hill Country-
Esteemed Contributor

Sugar Cream Pie was spot on for Indiana.  They also could have gone with breaded pork tenderloins.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

I can dig it!! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pennsylvania:  Pittsburgh has many firsts in food.  Here are a few that you will recognize.

Clark Bars developed in Pgh in 1886 and Klondike Bars made known by a dairy company, Isalys.  H.J. Heinz is a Pgh. company.

Every Pittsburger's favorite, Chipped Ham, which is a specially developed type of pressed ham that is sliced super thin.  When you unwrap that package, the odor is heavenly.  We have lived in a lot of places, other delis try to duplicate, but once you have the Pittsburgh style, nothing compares.

City chicken is also a Pittsburgh favorite.  

Again other places try to duplicate, but never quite the same.  

Because of the large Eastern European population, a lot of veal is eaten.  City chicken is cubes of veal alternating on a stick about 6" long with pork cubes.  Then they are dipped in flour, browned, and then baked in mushroom soup for several hours.  

You end up with tender meat, beautiful brown gravy, which is served over mashed potatoes,

There are others, this is a sampling.

Edited to add Florida - Key Lime Pie

Honored Contributor

maryland is spot on......CRABS.

steamed crabs, crabcakes, crab imperial, soft shell crabs, crab dip, lump crab cocktail, crab stuffed soft pretzels, maryland crab soup, cream of crab soup....

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gmkb wrote:

Pennsylvania:  Pittsburgh has many firsts in food.  Here are a few that you will recognize.

Clark Bars developed in Pgh in 1886 and Klondike Bars made known by a dairy company, Isalys.  H.J. Heinz is a Pgh. company.

Every Pittsburger's favorite, Chipped Ham, which is a specially developed type of pressed ham that is sliced super thin.  When you unwrap that package, the odor is heavenly.  We have lived in a lot of places, other delis try to duplicate, but once you have the Pittsburgh style, nothing compares.

City chicken is also a Pittsburgh favorite.  

Again other places try to duplicate, but never quite the same.  

Because of the large Eastern European population, a lot of veal is eaten.  City chicken is cubes of veal alternating on a stick about 6" long with pork cubes.  Then they are dipped in flour, browned, and then baked in mushroom soup for several hours.  

You end up with tender meat, beautiful brown gravy, which is served over mashed potatoes,

There are others, this is a sampling.

Edited to add Florida - Key Lime Pie

This is interesting @gmkb.  I live in Philadelphia and have never heard of any of these things.  I was surprised cheesesteaks was on the list for PA, because I always think of cheesesteaks as a Philly thing, not a state thing.  Add to that scrapple and Tastykakes.

Edited to add:  When I said I've never heard of any of these things, I was referring to the Pittsburgh foods.  Obviously, I've heard of key lime pie!

Esteemed Contributor

@meallen616 wrote:

New Jersey is known for great tomatoes too!

Absolutely!  This is the first thing that comes to mind for me as tomatoes are just about my favorite food and I have to cross the bridge to get a good one!  I also think of Jersey corn and peaches.  So delicious!

Respected Contributor

While 100% with my fellow posters on NJ Tomatoes we have the best we also have awesome corn as well as Bagels.  Must be our water. As well as the fact that we are the Garden State.

Taffy? no definitely a shore thing and not enjoyed by everyone. More so a touristy thing.