Esteemed Contributor

I think whatever works for you is what you should continue to do.

However, for me personally I never put food items on my counters. I too either use the cutting board, paper towels, or sometimes a plate.

I have no idea why I do it this way, it's just how I have always done it. 

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

This reminds me of one time when I was a young girl and I offended my grandmother so much because I assumed I shouldn't eat a raisin that I dropped on her kitchen floor. "My floors are clean enough to eat off of!" And she was right. She always had that mop out. Either a wet or a dust mop all day long. I still didn't want to eat it.

Your friend probably just didn't want to accidentally damage your counter. Some counter surfaces are surprisingly easy to damage. Maybe hers is like that at home.

You are absolutely correct, as a friend of mine found out after purchasing an expensive Corian countertop. She thought it would be much tougher but it turned out to be easily scratched.

Esteemed Contributor

Plates or cutting boards for me.  Most of the reason would be to not have to wipe down the counters.  Not making any claims about germs 🦠 

Respected Contributor

I always have something under food - cutting board, paper plate,  regular plate or bowl. If I'm making biscuits or scones, I put down waxed paper.

I guess it's because clean up is easier, and if I need to cut something in half (like a sandwich), I'm not cutting on the countertop. 

Honored Contributor

I always use a cutting board or a plate when preparing food.  Never the countertop - just habit I guess....I don't think there is a right or wrong.

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

I always make a sandwich on either a paper towel or a plate. Right now I'm fighting an ant problem, so I'm always vigilant to wipe crumbs or anything food related off my counters. Your sister is being respectful ... give her a break! I never make any food items directly on my counters.

@jannabelle1 

Love this product.  We just place a few arount the back edge of the counter.

Valued Contributor

I always put food on a plate or paper towel.  No matter how clean things may be there is always dust in the air, things are placed on the counter that may be from the store or just your own items, and in warmer weather insects crawling or landing so you never really know what might be there.  

Someone mentioned that she does roll dough right on the counter and I guess I do too but I always wash it first so there's no  time lapse between the cleaning and the rolling. 

Honored Contributor

My husband is a pie dough expert! He uses a pastry cloth to roll out the dough. Then I just throw in the wash.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

This reminds me of one time when I was a young girl and I offended my grandmother so much because I assumed I shouldn't eat a raisin that I dropped on her kitchen floor. "My floors are clean enough to eat off of!" And she was right. She always had that mop out. Either a wet or a dust mop all day long. I still didn't want to eat it.

This reminds me of my aunt.  She followed the "3 second rule".  If it fell on the floor and you picked it up within 3 seconds, it was still edible! Woman Very Happy

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

I make a lot of pie dough and I roll it between wax paper.  I knead bread dough on the counter and I roll yeast dough for cookies on the counter and cut them out.  I also roll and cut dough for chicken pot pie (chicken n' dumplings) on my counter as well as dough for homemade pasta.

Most pastry and candy shops make food directly on marble or granite services.  My counters are granite.  I would not do this on other types of counter top materials not made for this purpose.

I talked my DH into spending many thousands of dollars for granite by telling him I needed them to make his favorite foods and goodies.  I have kept my side of the bargain.  They are perfect for this purpose.