Esteemed Contributor

Re: Food brands and their parent companies

I got disgusted with the offerings at my local grocery stores years ago. 

It's challenging but not impossible to eat better, healthier but you need to think outside The Big Box stores.

I shop the local farmers for fruits & veggies. It's a pleasure to talk with the people who are actually proud of what they grow. They will walk you thru how to clean, prepare store or freeze their produce.

I recently found a farm that offers fresh eggs. Grade A large were 79 cents/doz last week. 

Always looking for better beef & chicken sources. Currently shop my local butcher who sources locally. 

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

There's a big frozen vegetable recall from Walmart - amazing the number of brands involved that came out of one processing plant.

Can you please provide a link to that recall, or at least the date? I haven't gotten a notice on it, and I'm on multiple recall lists from the government.

There was a recall last year involving frozen fruits and vegetables that may have included Walmart, but I don't see anything current in the database.

Respected Contributor

I won't buy from certain parent companies for other reasons...

Of course food safety is very important.

Esteemed Contributor

I like to buy pasture raised eggs from Vital Farms.

https://vitalfarms.com/pasture-raised-eggs/

eggs.jpg

To me, this is how hens are supposed to be. Out in the fresh air, eating bugs.

Their eggs taste so much better than eggs from hens in cages, or even so-called "cage-free".

Pasture raised eggs cost a bit more, but to me, it's worth it.

Respected Contributor

Very well said, Mominohio.  It's so irritating to trust brands and have them "turn" on you, the customer.  Bottom line, it's always the CEO and his/her administrators who put themselves first for financial gain.  Smithfield also became a "no, no" brand for me and I am turning more to organic items.  Still debating what to do about Easter ham. 

Trusted Contributor

I also don't trust Smithfield, anymore. It has become almost impossible to find any other kind of pork in our stores. My understanding is that a Chinese company bought Smithfield, not to send us Chinese pork, but to sell American pork in China. China has a huge appetite for pork. I still don't trust them. I find that I am eating less and less meat altogether due to not liking the way it is raised and processed. 

Trusted Contributor

I don't think you can buy this brand nationwide but in California there is a brand of chicken called Mary's. Free ranged, humanly euthanized. Whole Foods carries them, and so do some of the smaller, local markets.

Oh yeah, they are pricey. But well worth it. It's hard for me to buy any other chicken brand now because I can taste the difference.

Honored Contributor

A few years back, I had something Heinz put out (maybe gravy) and one was Hershey and I started then becoming amazed at all the food things different companies put out there for us. It is very interesting.