Honored Contributor

Re: Food Supply Concerns

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D  Along the lines of your statement.........

If you have not done so, you & everyone else in this thread should check out season 1 & 2 of The History Channel's The Food That Built America.  Talk about a cut throat industry!  Still going on to this very day.  Smiley Surprised faint.gif

Both seasons are currently on On Demand.  Season 2 is currently running on History's station.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@On It wrote:

While researching how vulnerable we have become to disruptions in our food supply chain, I reaffirmed what I already knew that 4 companies are responsible for 84% of the slaughter of beef in the United States. I then stumbled into the fact that the world's food supply across all categories is controlled by 10 or 11 companies. My lack of computer skills prevent me from posting the charts I saw, but they are frightening.

We are at the mercy of 15 or 16 companies for everything from food to toothpaste. No wonder prices can rise so easily, packaging shrinks in size, fewer choices are in the marketplace, and quality declines. These companies have acquired smaller companies over time and basically have swallowed up their competitors like the giant whales they are.

The United States once had anti-trust laws that were enforced. Today those laws are not being addressed. Our security and safety are at risk. We are being boiled like the proverbial frog. These acquisitions have taken place over periods of time effectively turning up the heat until the frog is cooked. We need to turn this thing around before it is to late.

I don't think we need to take anything for granted our food included. I haven't forgot what wal mart looked like last year when there was not a roll of toilet paper to be had, and there was no ground beef, ground round or chuck for quite a while either. Look what happened to some of us in Feb, with those horrible fridged temps and all that dang snow and the power outages. People were burning their furniture trying to stay warm. I have no reason to believe any of these things coudlnt' happen again.

There are some interesting prepper channels on youtube.

Honored Contributor

@MildredM wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

As far as food shrinking...that has been happening for decades...nothing new. I remember about when it started in the early 70's? Maybe even earlier than that...

I remember way back when...1 lb coffee cans weren't 16 oz anymore.

Right, I remember my Mom and neighbor ladies being livid at the change. I was in high school at the time.

@MildredM  We must be about the same age...I'm 61 Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Well if we are going to do trivia......

Looks like Ted Turner owns more land (just land of all types) than Bill Gates.

Then we need @Kachina624.   Which particular one (1) acre does Bill Gates have in New Mexico????  Did I read that right?

@Still Raining   Huh???

I do know Ted Turner owns several large ranches in NM. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

D32819AF-3197-4FE9-B059-2C549693C13E.jpeg

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

There's always........

proxy-image.jpg

icon_razz.gif

What the heck??

Esteemed Contributor

@Scorpio1971 wrote:

@On It 

I am more worried about our water resources & power grid being disrupted.

I totally understand this.  However, I think they deserve equal concern (water and food).  Learning to adapt to the lack of powered gadgets we can do.  Not easy ~ but we'd be alive to do it.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

Read full article at..

Land Report dot com 

Bill Gates: America's Top Farmland Owner

Back in January, US magazine The Land Report revealed that Bill and Melinda Gates have amassed the largest portfolio of private farmland in the US, with acreage across 18 states, an estimated 242,000 acres.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy DYour chart is very similar to the makeup/beauty industry.  So many different brands owned and operated by a few companies.  It really does stifle completition imo.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Mindy D  Along the lines of your statement.........

If you have not done so, you & everyone else in this thread should check out season 1 & 2 of The History Channel's The Food That Built America.  Talk about a cut throat industry!  Still going on to this very day.  Smiley Surprised faint.gif

Both seasons are currently on On Demand.  Season 2 is currently running on History's station.

@Mz iMac @Thank you. I just watched two episodes. I love this type of documentary.