Respected Contributor

While researching how vulnerable we have become to disruptions in our food supply chain, I reaffirmed what I already knew that 4 companies are responsible for 84% of the slaughter of beef in the United States. I then stumbled into the fact that the world's food supply across all categories is controlled by 10 or 11 companies. My lack of computer skills prevent me from posting the charts I saw, but they are frightening.

We are at the mercy of 15 or 16 companies for everything from food to toothpaste. No wonder prices can rise so easily, packaging shrinks in size, fewer choices are in the marketplace, and quality declines. These companies have acquired smaller companies over time and basically have swallowed up their competitors like the giant whales they are.

The United States once had anti-trust laws that were enforced. Today those laws are not being addressed. Our security and safety are at risk. We are being boiled like the proverbial frog. These acquisitions have taken place over periods of time effectively turning up the heat until the frog is cooked. We need to turn this thing around before it is to late.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

It doesn't help that Bill Gates now owns most of the US farmland. Hope people are aware of the falsehoods he believes and why him owning so much farmland is such a big problem.

Esteemed Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

It doesn't help that Bill Gates now owns most of the US farmland. Hope people are aware of the falsehoods he believes and why him owning so much farmland is such a big problem.

Where I live farms are a hot topic.

Think total US farmland is over 900,000,000 acres.

Are you asserting that he owns "most" or more than 450,000,000 acres?

Really???

Honored Contributor

more scare mongering... just stop please. Will not hurt Americans to eat less meat anyway. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Food Supply Concerns

[ Edited ]

@ThinkingOutLoud    That is simply not true.   Where did you get such information.   The Catholic Church and Queen Elizabeth own the most.  You can find it easily by research

Respected Contributor

Where I live, farmers are selling to builders. I'm surrounded by warehouses and transfer stations and new housing. I saw on the new this mornings that our beef slaughter house's computers systems have been hacked and prices will sky rocket.

Super Contributor

This is a very justifiable concern. My father owned grocery stores for several years and I am very informed on the supply chain. Our country has had two years of less crop yields and have exported heavily. Inflation is coming and there is less supply. Crops are also stuggling in some areas due to drought this season. 

We added to our garden beds and are trying to grow more and support a local farm. I don't think anyone should stick their head in the sand on this issue.

Floral Pillow
Esteemed Contributor

The USDA reports about 915 million acres of farmland.

The Gates land portfolio consists of about 270,000 acres, all uses.

Honored Contributor

Conglomerates have long been an increasing problem but as long as they can afford to buy, uh, 'exemptions' they'll continue to be so...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor
Are you referring to the cyberattack of JBS?