Trusted Contributor

Re: Food Products Filled With Air

Yes.  And things settle in containers, food and other items.  That's why you have to go by the WEIGHT not the VOLUME

Honored Contributor

It's a new weight loss feature.

Honored Contributor

@aj1980   I  don't find that to be true at all.   I know things like chips and crackers are sold by weight, not volume.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Chips etc are weighed by the ounce. You aren't paying any extra for that air that is cushioning the product in the bag.

Trusted Contributor

No I don't believe that. Also, it's not air, it's nitrogen. It helps the chips stay fresher longer and protects them from breakage. The label clearly shows the weight of the chips. Most grocery stores show the unit price on the shelf.

Honored Contributor

Chip bags not filled with nitrogen will be crumbs.

The way to tell if there are changes is to monitor the labeled weight of the contents.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Caffeina wrote:

No I don't believe that. Also, it's not air, it's nitrogen. It helps the chips stay fresher longer and protects them from breakage. The label clearly shows the weight of the chips. Most grocery stores show the unit price on the shelf.

@Caffeina @You're correct. Most chip bags are filled with nitrogen, so are bagged salad greens. Plain air (at sea level) is 78% nitrogen, 21%oxygen and the rest is a mixture of other gases. The filling with gas cushions and protects the chips from breaking and not using oxygen helps keep the chips from going stale. 

Esteemed Contributor

No, the bags are filled by weight, not volume.

Respected Contributor

I find it not only with chips but other products as well.  I bought a bag of Halloween candy, 10000grandy candy bars.  Lots of air in the bag, only 14 fun size pieces of candy in the bag.