Honored Contributor

Food Processing Plants Still Have Covid Outbreaks

[ Edited ]

A Tyson Foods chicken-processing plant in North Carolina has reported that 25.4  percent of its employees (600 employees) have tested positive for coronavirus

The plant had been temporarily closed for deep cleaning and reopened.It comes as unions voice fears that safety measures in food processing plants are not enforceable 

Meat processing plants have been hit hard by coronavirus outbreak.More than 14,000 workers have been infected with at least 54 deaths

Employees in a Tyson plant in Texas were tested last week but are working as they await their results even after the death of a forklift operator.

They claim that people are being asked to leave the factory as their positive results return

A Kraft Heinz plant in Missouri reported a new outbreak this week

The facility is the sole producer of Oscar-Mayer bologna in the U.S. 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Food Processing Plants Still Have Covid Outbreaks

IMO this means that we can expect further meat shortages, so prepare while you can is my train of thought.

Not suggesting hoarding, but prepare for shortages for your family's needs.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I find this outrageous, irresponsible and reckless.  I would hold these owners accountable and penalize them.  If you have such outbreaks in these plants, you need to face the music and do something to ensure safety and health for your workers.  NO ONE has the right to put anyone's health in jeopardy and that is what this is doing.  I am truly sorry for the workers and their families and what they face with these companies.  It says volumes and I will leave it at that.

Honored Contributor

I agree that this kind of thing is most likely going to go on for up to another year. 

I think by now, people would be looking at what we have been through, be planning what they need and what they can live without, and begin stocking accordingly. 

I know I'm glad I had a fully stocked house before this even hit. Even at that, I had a few areas I had neglected, and have been getting those taken care of. 

I just don't see a real end to this, but a more fluid 'what is short in supply today' kind of reality for quite awhile yet. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spiderw   The government ordered these plants to open and remain so with no direction as to how to really protect workers and also as a result is protecting companies from being held liable for any deaths due to Covid deaths!!  Workers were working in less than acceptable conditions before this with in many cases no routine inspections being made on a schedule so now things will only get worse!!! 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I rarely eat meat, but my family is getting weary of fish. Beginning to run out of meat from the freezer but hesitant to purchase new meat. Am I alone here? 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Valued Contributor

I am doing a personal boycott of Smithfield, Tyson and JBS products.  You can go online and see what products each company produces.  Those companies and others in the food processing business need to step up and do a better job of protecting their workers and the states those processing plants are in need to count the number of cases involved and demand a better accounting. 

Honored Contributor

The order to stay open,came from the top.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Would like to know how many of those infected are asymptomatic vs those who would call in sick because they had symptoms.

There could be enough employees calling in sick to cause a serious worker shortage.  That happens during heavy flu seasons when a lot of people don't get the vaccine.  

Esteemed Contributor

These conditions remind me of how things were for workers so many, many years ago.  Ruthless people ran businesses that took advantage of workers desperate for pay.  Very bad and very long working conditions.  And there was a horrific event, the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire, that tipped the scales and began the modern labor movement.  So many of the workers in these plants today are desperate for money to feed their families, often living in areas where they cannot find suitable alternative employment.  So, they are treated as cattle themselves, with no regard for them.  And no regard for the consumer, I will add.  I have never eaten much meat, and I will be now eating alternative sources of protein.