Respected Contributor

While picking up a package of individual fruit packets at a leading grocery today,  I noticed that the item was imported from China!  Shock and disbelief that a major brand still imports food from such a questionable source.  I put that item right back on the shelf.  Don't take it for granted where your food is coming from....read the label. 

Honored Contributor

My husband is a juice drinker, I am not.

One day I was rinsing an empty bottle of apple juice and as I was ready to throw it into the recycling bin I noticed it said it was made from concentrate from China...wth...did we run out of apples here?

Needless to say we don't buy it anymore.

Honored Contributor

I won't eat any foods made in China, that's why I won't buy any foods from a Dollar Store or a discount food store.  But I read recently that many brand name products that are sold in regular grocery stores are selling food items that were made in China.  That shocked me, I read the nutritional labels but I didn't really look to see where things were made.  I certainly do now!!

Respected Contributor

My husband drinks OJ every single day and only one brand.  I do not, but I saw a commercial ad for a different brand and they said their's is made in US whereas this other brand, that my husband has alway purchase for the last 25 years, came from China. I told him and now he drinks a new brand.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I won't eat any foods made in China, that's why I won't buy any foods from a Dollar Store or a discount food store.  But I read recently that many brand name products that are sold in regular grocery stores are selling food items that were made in China.  That shocked me, I read the nutritional labels but I didn't really look to see where things were made.  I certainly do now!!

Neither will I - even if it's a well known national brand.

Honored Contributor

I will not buy any food product from China and always read every label, but that often isn't enough.

I stopped buying Starkist tuna after I found out that Charlie the Tuna is now processed in China.

They have pretty nonexistent regulations for food packaging and processing.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Like probably most, I have plenty of things made in China (mostly electronics) in my house.

But food is where I do draw the line.  I try to get as much US food as possible.    With food from China - who knows what you're getting.   A lot of produce we get off-season from Central and South America and I try to avoid that almost exclusively.  For me, that is mostly because of pesticides and the different laws they have (have a bird and I have asthma).    I wonder if our pesticide laws are going to be dropped, though, and that has become a new concern for me.

I had some shrimp I had purchased, several years ago, that was from Southeast Asia (didn't look before purchasing - oops!) and I found that it made my throat close up and itch so I learned to be more vigilant when I purchased seafood, too.

Honored Contributor

We avoid all food from China (when it is marked) as well. 

I would think that food companies would do themselves a favor to list country of origin because if it doesn't say what country I will pass it up. 

We tend to get some produce in this area from Canada and I'm ok with that, but if food is marked from China or if the source isn't listed at all, I look for something else.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Like probably most, I have plenty of things made in China (mostly electronics) in my house.

But food is where I do draw the line.  I try to get as much US food as possible.    With food from China - who knows what you're getting.   A lot of produce we get off-season from Central and South America and I try to avoid that almost exclusively.  For me, that is mostly because of pesticides and the different laws they have (have a bird and I have asthma).    I wonder if our pesticide laws are going to be dropped, though, and that has become a new concern for me.

I had some shrimp I had purchased, several years ago, that was from Southeast Asia (didn't look before purchasing - oops!) and I found that it made my throat close up and itch so I learned to be more vigilant when I purchased seafood, too.

@chickenbutt

I have the same concerns you have.  I wonder if it's worth it to try to only buy organic produce.  I've read there aren't strict laws on what can be labeled "organic."

Respected Contributor

I read fairly recently that chicken from China would be sold in our supermarkets. Not sure if it's where I shop. Does anyone else  think chicken tastes bad enough as it is , unless it's local farm organic, without adding the time of shipping and the quality issues in China? I can hardly stomach it anymore, because it tastes so bad.