Super Contributor

Re: Food Demo employee ""Melts Down"" in WALMART

I had to call Sam's once to speak to the manager because my mom with dementia was reaching for a sample and the lady pushed her hand away and told her to wait until ALL OF THEM WERE PUT OUT.

My mom started to cry in the store and we had to leave because I couldn't calm her down. It took everything I had not to cuss out the sample lady.

When I called the manager he was very sympathetic because his mother had Alzheimer's. He explained that the sample people at that store work through a temporary service and he was going to have that woman replaced (he knew exactly who I was talking about) with someone else.

Trusted Contributor

On 9/14/2014 pistolino said:

I had to call Sam's once to speak to the manager because my mom with dementia was reaching for a sample and the lady pushed her hand away and told her to wait until ALL OF THEM WERE PUT OUT.

My mom started to cry in the store and we had to leave because I couldn't calm her down. It took everything I had not to cuss out the sample lady.

When I called the manager he was very sympathetic because his mother had Alzheimer's. He explained that the sample people at that store work through a temporary service and he was going to have that woman replaced (he knew exactly who I was talking about) with someone else.

Oh, Pistolino... that's heartbreaking. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Respected Contributor

Yes, it is. I was sorry to read that as well. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Respected Contributor

pistolino, I'm so glad you called the manager on your mom's behalf. Demo servers who are rude to customers at all should be immediately removed even if their cart has to be shut down.

Shame on the Wall Mart manager for allowing the arm-grabbing server to continue serving. Especially so if, indeed, she did have a "melt down" of screaming. That she was allowed to continue makes me question how much screaming occurred but that's neither here nor there.

Trusted Contributor

On 9/13/2014 HHC1 said:
On 9/13/2014 golfcartrider said:
On 9/13/2014 HHC1 said:
On 9/13/2014 Preds said:

First off it was rude to reach for a second sample. Was the Food Demo worker an older person? Did she/he actually grab the person or just reach out and "touch" the person as to say "Just one sample, please!" Did they have to deal with others taking many samples prior to? I've seen people at Sams' make a darn meal out of the sample stations. It's made us not even try the samples because I feel so sorry for these people trying to promote something and be bombarded the way they are. Can't even imagine what it would be like in a WalMart.

The Demo lady looked to be in her mid forties. I saw her grab the customer's hand and make her put the food down. It was similar to the way you may see a mother handle a child. The customer was the only person at the sample table. It was about 2:30 in the afternoon yesterday. So the sample area wasn't busy. The yelling and screaming between the two was so loud, people ran over from other areas.

I am surprised we have not seen this on the news. What was the yelling and screaming about?

The sample lady could have handled it differently. Touching a customer in my opinion for any reason is out of line.

They were yelling about the incident. Customer wanted to know why the woman grabbed her hand etc. But, Demo lady wouldn't back down. She was really going off. Even after the customer left the store, the Demo lady wouldn't quiet down. She was talking to Walmart employees about the incident in a loud tone. She never backed down. She just went back to work.

I agree with you, if it was me she touched, it would have been on the news. She was loud and rude. In my experience, it's a meltdown. Oh well, I guess I've lived a sheltered life compared to some.

Seriously you would put something like this on the news?? For what purpose?

Honored Contributor

On 9/13/2014 golfcartrider said:
On 9/13/2014 HHC1 said:
On 9/13/2014 Preds said:

First off it was rude to reach for a second sample. Was the Food Demo worker an older person? Did she/he actually grab the person or just reach out and "touch" the person as to say "Just one sample, please!" Did they have to deal with others taking many samples prior to? I've seen people at Sams' make a darn meal out of the sample stations. It's made us not even try the samples because I feel so sorry for these people trying to promote something and be bombarded the way they are. Can't even imagine what it would be like in a WalMart.

The Demo lady looked to be in her mid forties. I saw her grab the customer's hand and make her put the food down. It was similar to the way you may see a mother handle a child. The customer was the only person at the sample table. It was about 2:30 in the afternoon yesterday. So the sample area wasn't busy. The yelling and screaming between the two was so loud, people ran over from other areas.

I am surprised we have not seen this on the news. What was the yelling and screaming about?

The sample lady could have handled it differently. Touching a customer in my opinion for any reason is out of line.

Why would an argument in a Walmart be on the news? The police weren't called, so why would reporters hear about it? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Super Contributor

Most of the sample reps are very nice. I was there a couple yrs ago and the cheese man left me have a few. No breakfast or lunch, ha! But I was the only one there and he enjoyed talking about his product. It's pretty rude to grab someone for taking another sample, just say "I'm sorry , we are limited on samples so one per customer", no need to get upset about it. If she is the rep she can lose her job for that, as she is in a CS position.
Respected Contributor

On 9/13/2014 Shorty2U said:

All I can say is that's Walmart! (I never shop there, not a fan!).

No...that's not Walmart....that's a person who has an entitlement mentality who thinks she can freely help herself to more.

Super Contributor

On 9/14/2014 Deb1010again said:
On 9/14/2014 Free2be said:

I didn't read Noel's post as anything akin to a lecture. She is right in what the word "meltdown" means in normal usage. The thread title is misleading. Clearly there was a disagreement that was unpleasant.

Again, IMO it's very petty to lecture someone on the use of a word that is very commonly used in slang. Very often people are referred to as having a "meltdown" when they lose it. It's not exclusively for nuclear reactors and such.

When all is said and done, it's all just opinion. As I stated earlier. IMO it was a lecture. Smile

I agree!

Respected Contributor

On 9/15/2014 Opurrra said:
On 9/14/2014 Deb1010again said:
On 9/14/2014 Free2be said:

I didn't read Noel's post as anything akin to a lecture. She is right in what the word "meltdown" means in normal usage. The thread title is misleading. Clearly there was a disagreement that was unpleasant.

Again, IMO it's very petty to lecture someone on the use of a word that is very commonly used in slang. Very often people are referred to as having a "meltdown" when they lose it. It's not exclusively for nuclear reactors and such.

When all is said and done, it's all just opinion. As I stated earlier. IMO it was a lecture. Smile

I agree!

I agree too.....it's all too commom around here for some to point out grammar, typos, spelling, punctuation, etc and ignore what the post is really about.