Respected Contributor

Re: Food Demo employee ""Melts Down"" in WALMART

Feeding time at the zoo! LOL!!!
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Valued Contributor

I cry at the drop of a hat----if a stranger grabbed me I would bawl
Super Contributor

The food demo people in our local Costco are so weird and many are nasty. I can't image why she would care if someone took another sample.

Super Contributor

On 9/13/2014 HHC1 said:

I couldn't believe my eyes! There was a Food Demo lady passing out samples in the grocery section of Walmart. A customer approached the table and took a sample. She commented that the food was good as she reached for another sample.

The Demo lady grabbed the customer's hand and made her put the second sample down. A huge arguement erupted and another customer ran to get the store manager.

Unbelievable!

Perhaps worst of all, the store manager did nothing. He asked everyone to calm down. Meanwhile, the customer left the store in frustration.

The Demo lady went right back to work!

This reminds me of stuff that RubyinNE has written about doing to strangers out in public.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Super Contributor

My last job before I retired was with a well known natural foods grocery store, the name of which I probably shouldn't mention. I've seen customers take food to sample that wasn't even a demo. One man in particular would take bits from the hot bar and fruit from the produce department. He would then sit down - at one of the store's tables - and eat what he had stolen. This went on for several months and was so blatant that other customers would report it. Eventually he was told not to come back to the store.

Respected Contributor

I didn't read Noel's post as anything akin to a lecture. She is right in what the word ""meltdown"" means in normal usage. The thread title is misleading. Clearly there was a disagreement that was unpleasant.

Trusted Contributor

On 9/14/2014 Free2be said:

I didn't read Noel's post as anything akin to a lecture. She is right in what the word "meltdown" means in normal usage. The thread title is misleading. Clearly there was a disagreement that was unpleasant.

Again, IMO it's very petty to lecture someone on the use of a word that is very commonly used in slang. Very often people are referred to as having a "meltdown" when they lose it. It's not exclusively for nuclear reactors and such.

When all is said and done, it's all just opinion. As I stated earlier. IMO it was a lecture. Smile

Honored Contributor

On 9/14/2014 Deb1010again said:
On 9/14/2014 Free2be said:

I didn't read Noel's post as anything akin to a lecture. She is right in what the word "meltdown" means in normal usage. The thread title is misleading. Clearly there was a disagreement that was unpleasant.

Again, IMO it's very petty to lecture someone on the use of a word that is very commonly used in slang. Very often people are referred to as having a "meltdown" when they lose it. It's not exclusively for nuclear reactors and such.

When all is said and done, it's all just opinion. As I stated earlier. IMO it was a lecture. Smile

Another poster and I politely agreed to disagree. You jumped in and tried to start a fight. I've seen you do it before. You might want to take your own advice and let live instead of trying to start something between other people.
A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

On 9/13/2014 NoelSeven said:
On 9/13/2014 HHC1 said:
On 9/13/2014 NoelSeven said:
On 9/13/2014 Marienkaefer2 said: I've noticed in Costco around here that they don't keep too many samples out at a time. Maybe just two or three, and then the food person puts out a couple more at a time. This customer sounds like a greedy piggy, reaching for another sample. It's not hard to imagine. But I don't think the employee should have grabbed the person's arm. That's a no no.

I was thinking the same thing! The poor food sample lady probably had had it with greedy people, finally did what she'd wanted to do for a long time.

Obviously she should not have touched the customer but I wouldn't call her reaction a melt-down.

We disagree. Grabbing someone's hand and arguing with them, while your working as an (employee or contractor) is a meltdown to me.

Yes, we do disagree.

The term 'meltdown' comes from a disastrous event like an accident in a nuclear reactor.

When used in describing behavior, it describes a lot worse than someone touching or even grabbing the hand of another. It usually includes screaming, yelling, crying, a loud show of emotion and a loss of control.

Sorry, but hand touching/grabbing with a few negative comments as a meltdown is nowhere near that.

Perhaps you didn't read all of my comments. The demo Lady yelled and screamed throughout the incident. She continued this behavior after the customer left. It's all about each individuals sensibilities.

Honored Contributor

I don't know that it's actually rude per se for someone here and there to reach for a second sample. I wouldn't liken that to them eating the equivalent of a meal or even like standing around at a party eating several bite sized appetizers. It's not a usual occurrence, but there have been times where I'd pick up a sample as I'm passing by, like what I've tasted, and circle back around to read the product package, ask a question, etc. and I have greedily taken a second sample (gasp!). I think people would be lying if they said they didn't do that once in awhile. There have also been times where I've taken two at one time because my husband was in the store (Costco) with me and so I pick one up for him, too, if it's something I think he'd like. This demonstrator was wrong to grab the person's arm. And by the time the customer had already picked up the sample, it was too late anyway. With health code laws, that sample would probably have to be discarded so the customer might as well just eat it. The demonstrator was out of line to overreact. She could have had a sign or mentioned, as she saw this person reaching, that it's only one per person, if it was that big of an issue for her, but after it had already been touched it was too late. And the fact that there was no one else around makes it even less of a big deal. It not like the customer was giving anyone else ideas to help themselves to more. It's disappointing that the Walmart manager didn't do anything. Knowing how litigious our society has become, the customer might react now and file some kind of ridiculous lawsuit. Had the manager stepped in and done something to make the customer feel better, the customer may have been flustered or a little out of sorts, but not mad enough to file a lawsuit against the store and/or the demonstrator or company she was representing. Unfortunately, this ordeal might not be over.