Respected Contributor

Food Delivery Options I've Been Using

I've heard about a lot of meal prep and meal delivery services for years but have avoided them because they were expensive. Now that I'm stuck at home and groceries are harder to get, I've decided to try a few. Here's my review of a few. Add your own experiences below!

Lettuce ATX: Local Meal Prep delivery with meat and produce from local farmers and ranchers. The recipes were simple and good and the quality was excellent, but I found that this was not the option for me at this time. They came in a zero-waste package, so everything gets washed and returned for reuse. While that would have thrilled me in January, it makes me nervous right now. I don't want your cloth bag, thanks. There were also a lot of fresh salad things and I feel more comfortable with cooked items at this time. I canceled but would consider using it again when I feel safer. 

Imperfect Foods: This is a produce delivery service that also brings staples and some dairy. They specialize in "ugly" vegetables and fruits that grocers would reject because of their look, overstock items, or things with short sale dates. The produce really is ugly, but it's been a fairly reliable way to get some good vegetables, eggs, creamer, and some other things. You can choose what you want in your box based on what they have in stock that week. I get fresh apples and oranges every week. This is not a service I'm likely to keep when things aren't so weird, but I'm thankful to have it right now.

Freshly: This is a heat and serve meal service. I get 6 meals a week (you can get up to 12) delivered to my door. They're larger and better tasting than things like Lean Cuisines from the grocery store. They have a menu where I can choose which meals I want up to three weeks in advance, so it doesn't take a lot of effort for me to manage on that end. There is a lot of packaging. It's all recyclable or biodegradable, but it takes some time and effort to break it all down and dispose of it all properly. This is a service I would consider keeping after the weirdness because the meals would be easy to take to work and cost less than eating at the restaurant at the office or going out to get something.

Honored Contributor

Re: Food Delivery Options I've Been Using

The only one I have been using is Instacart with deliveries from Metropolitan Market (local chain) and Costco.  They are more expensive but I am not going to movies, plays, exercise class, or out to dinner or lunch so I figure I am ahead of the game.  I actually like grocery shopping so I am looking forward to doing my own again if that day ever comes.

Valued Contributor

I've used Schwan's 3 times and Freshly once so far.

We're in our 70's, I have many health issues, and we're trying to stay in as much as possible. Also, since I do not like to cook, I find it very convenient to use these services to supplement our meals.

Honored Contributor

Hello Fresh and EveryPlate. They're owned by the same European company. I absolutely love it.

DH was always the better cook in the past. But using these boxes and the step by step recipes makes me more confidant. And I've found I'm actually pretty darn good. My meals almost always turn out a bit better than his because I am so careful about each step. We have not had one single bad meal out of any of them and several that were far better than a good restaurant.

I've been ordering extra proteins with my boxes lately to store in the freezer. Not excessive amounts at all, just a little extra to keep on hand since all the preppers seem to be advocating that and they are the experts on disaster preparation.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I have not heard good things about Imperfect Foods from friends.  Most of it was so imperfect (rotted) it had to go right into the garbage.  

Contributor

I've been getting Blue Apron for about five years. I've been very pleased with the variety and healthy potions.  Although this week I received two (out of three) vegetarian meals.  I'm not complaining though. Just assuming meat is harder to get, even for them. Hoping I can keep counting on their service.