Super Contributor

I watch some of the shows on the Food Channel. That show Diners, Drive-ins & Dives shows restaurants around the country and how they make their signature dishes. Some of the dishes look so good you wish you could go there and try the food.

That being said, why when they are showing how the owner/chef makes the meals they all use their hands, no plastic gloves to mix food, touch food and prepare food? It grosses me out watching them use their hands on the food the customers are going to eat. It's even worse watching Guy Fieri, the host, touching all the food with his bare hands! I know this probably happens in restaurant kitchens all the time, but seeing it on TV like that, it just makes me a bit skeptical about eating at restaurants.

You would think at least for the TV cameras, they would have better etiquette.

Super Contributor

You should see what goes on in the very restaurants you eat at.

Have you ever wondered what's going on back there in the kitchen?

Respected Contributor

On the contrary, I've seen many on Triple D wearing gloves while preparing various dishes.

Honored Contributor

For many years I watched 'Top Chef'...even when they were creating in an actual restaurant...and I don't recall ANYONE wearing gloves any time. Barbeque pit guys wear thick, heavy gloves for the heat aspect...but the tight safety gloves? Nope.

Trusted Contributor
If their hands are washed, or it's going to be cooked, I really couldn't care less. Other times you really need to get your hands in there, and gloves get in the way. From a statistical viewpoint, you're more likely to have a problem eating a meal at a friend's house than a restaurant. Or your own.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Respected Contributor

What really grosses me out is when cooks leave their rings on when mixing food bare handed.

Rings contain lots of nooks and crevices where bacteria can hide, along with other "gunk".

Washing your hands does not clean or sanitize rings.

Gross.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Trusted Contributor

I cannot help but wonder if the OP wears gloves when preparing food. Did the OP grow up in a household where the primary cook wore gloves? Seriously, I do not understand the whole glove issue.

Wearing gloves is, in no way, any more sanitary than using frequently-washed hands. In fact, the wearing of gloves may lead to less-frequent handwashing, resulting in less sanitary food handling.

Super Contributor

In my county the health department does not recommend gloves because if the hand is dirty when the glove is put on germs/bacteria are transferred to the glove and therefore will not provide protection. They require frequent hand washing. You may disagree with that policy, but it is a policy of some health departments.

Guy is a restaurant owner, I am sure he has washed up before he touches anything in these kitchens he visits.

If you are bothered by someone handling your food with bare hands I suggest that you only eat at home.

Honored Contributor

What I can't stand seeing is letting them cook or bake without having to tie their hair back.

Cupcake Wars

Chopped

Sandra Lee

Triple G

Honored Contributor

Wonder if any of those judges have ever gotten sick from uncooked food from those contests? Gross.