Honored Contributor

I've often seen gloves worn on DD&D. I rarely use gloves with what little cooking I do. I mostly only use them when I'm seeding a pomegranate.

Honored Contributor

I work in a (large, major) hospital, which as a full cafeteria to include a grill, to-go refrigerated food, and hot, served-up food. I have been sick from eating this food more times than I can remember - many, MANY more times than I've ever gotten sick from a restaurant (twice). In fact, it's almost a given that I will have repercussions from eating anything from the cafeteria except the pre-packaged food. And I have never heard, in 17 years, anything about the health department being there, or anyone reporting them. I'll be delighted to take my chances in an A or B graded restaurant (all restaurants must post a letter grade health department rating. Most have it in the front window).

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Frequent Contributor
Sadly gloves do not guarantee protection from germs. I've worked in a deli where I saw people blowing their noses with gloves on and even using the restroom with the gloves on then returning to the counter!
Honored Contributor

Funny. Eating all that garbage food those places make & we're worried about a few germs on the fork? All that sugar, salt & fat....a heart attack or stroke is a greater worry, not dirty hands.

Super Contributor

Do you wear plastic gloves when you are mixing or preparing food with your hands? I don't. I'm sure that those chefs are constantly washing their hands, it's just not a part of the show they film because time is money and that wouldn't be very interesting to waste several minutes of airtime watching someone wash up. If you eat out at restaurants I hope you don't think any of those cooks are wearing gloves either. As long as they are washing their hands long enough with a sanitized soap I'm not concerned. I'd be more worried about the condition of the kitchen, cleanliness of surfaces, pots & pans, utensils, glasses, etc. and the temperature they keep their food at.

Honored Contributor
On 3/21/2015 JustJules said:

Do you wear plastic gloves when you are mixing or preparing food with your hands? I don't. I'm sure that those chefs are constantly washing their hands, it's just not a part of the show they film because time is money and that wouldn't be very interesting to waste several minutes of airtime watching someone wash up. If you eat out at restaurants I hope you don't think any of those cooks are wearing gloves either. As long as they are washing their hands long enough with a sanitized soap I'm not concerned. I'd be more worried about the condition of the kitchen, cleanliness of surfaces, pots & pans, utensils, glasses, etc. and the temperature they keep their food at.

I can't speak for every restaurant or manager but I can guarantee you that the restaurant my daughter manages at is up to standards when it comes to food safety and sanitation.

She's a stickler about it. She took all the tongs out of the kitchen because they were double dipping between raw and cooked.

Honored Contributor
On 2/21/2015 Apple Head said:

I watch some of the shows on the Food Channel. That show Diners, Drive-ins & Dives shows restaurants around the country and how they make their signature dishes. Some of the dishes look so good you wish you could go there and try the food.

That being said, why when they are showing how the owner/chef makes the meals they all use their hands, no plastic gloves to mix food, touch food and prepare food? It grosses me out watching them use their hands on the food the customers are going to eat. It's even worse watching Guy Fieri, the host, touching all the food with his bare hands! I know this probably happens in restaurant kitchens all the time, but seeing it on TV like that, it just makes me a bit skeptical about eating at restaurants.

You would think at least for the TV cameras, they would have better etiquette.

I'll bet the guy that drives that Red convertible would welcome your suggestion. Have you called or e-mailed them about this?

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor
On 2/21/2015 Lion said:

What really grosses me out is when cooks leave their rings on when mixing food bare handed.

Rings contain lots of nooks and crevices where bacteria can hide, along with other "gunk".

Washing your hands does not clean or sanitize rings.

Gross.

Aside from being gross - I remember that when I took a bread making course, the teacher recommended we always remove our rings, even diamonds, because kneading scratches stones. I can't prove she was right, but hands without rings certainly can be cleaner. I always remove mine when I cook.

Honored Contributor

Good for your daughter, CelticCrafter! I'd probably be the same type of conscientious manager!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor
On 3/21/2015 JustJules said:

I don't wear plastic gloves when I prepare food but do wash my hands before preparation. I have a strong aversion to plastic gloves.

My niece owns a popular family restaurant and is a stickler about the kitchen prep area including all the things you mentioned. She has regular, unannounced visits by the PA Dept. of Health and is typically cited for minor (picky) issues that are easy to correct (i.e., bread crumbs in a microwave). Her manager is always on board in the food prep area and this helps greatly. Sometimes entry level employees try to get away with stuff but she keeps this well under control. Her restaurant includes a bakery and niece bakes all the cakes, pies, cookies, breads, etc., so she needs a manager on whom she can depend.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~