Honored Contributor

Re: Flu shots don't seem to be effective this year in my area

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd

I take no chances...never forget four years ago not receiving the flu shot became extremely sick. From then on not missed getting my shot nor sick. 

Honored Contributor

Flu shots aren't 100% effective, they never were, they never will be.  It's because there's certain about of guess work when they try to judge which strains will be prevalent.  Also there's more than one strain out there.  No flu shot "recipe" can cover all strains.  Sometimes they do a better job of judging.  Last year, I think it was something like 35% effective.  However, this year, contrary to what you think, the flu shot has been very effective.  More effective than it has been in recent years.  The dominant strains  H1N1  and H3N2 and that's what this year's shot protects against.  It's been a huge success this year.  But not 100%  Your daughter and grandaughter could have come down with a different strain.  Perhaps they didn't really have the flu.  They can only tell if a person has the flu if they do the titers.  The lab work.  Most doctors don't because there's no point.  They treat the patient as if the patient has the flu if the patient has flu symptoms.  They say that people who come down with the flu after the flu shot, they have milder case of it because the shot did give them some protection.  I live in pretty educated, healh consious part of the country and everyone has health insurance so most people do get their flu shots.  But doctor's and emergency rooms are still seeing a lot flu along with the usual coughs and colds.  it's not like last winter !!!!  That was a nightmare.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't get the shot as it is contraindicated with 2 of my autoimmune diseases.  However, DH was given the senior shot and was sick for 3 1/2 seems from it.

Honored Contributor

Have the people you know who are sick with the ‘flu’ been tested to confirm it?

Several Friends of ours have been quite ill with a very aggressive sinus issue which has led to pneumonia.  However, in each case their MD did the snap test to confirm influenza and they did not have it.  

This is just a quick test, done while waiting in the office.  Just wonder how many others might really have something other then the flu.

Very grateful to have missed it so far, always get the vaccine.  Stay Well!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Frequent Contributor

All good here.  Both of us had our flu shots in October.  If a person does not have body aches including a headache, chills and fever it's highly unlikely they have the flu.  There's plenty of upper respiratory illness out there that will give you a bad cough, sore throat, ear ache and make you think you have the flu but you don't.  

Contributor

Finished my shingles shots as well!! Yippee!

Honored Contributor

Flu is at its highest right now in my local area of southern WV.  One local hospital is running a high daily census, and has restricted outside visitors.   Local nursing homes have been restricting visitors since the first week of January.   

I am buying bread and milk at CVS and Dollar General, and will stay out of local grocery stores until into March.

Due to my husbands serious foot issue, and recent partial amputation, we have been in hospitals a lot this winter.   We use wet wipes, and hand sanitizer, along with using a bit of neosporin or bacitracin in our nostrils when we have to be out.  I also use straight peroxide on my toothbrush after brushing every day.   

Respected Contributor

Drythe  you are correct. So many people thik they have the flu when it is probably another upper respiratory infection. Without the rapid test there is no way to determine if it is the flu or another illness. Last year. my husband and i both took the flu shot in Novmber and came down with the flu in mid January. We did go to urgent care and both tested positive for the flu. This year we got the senior flu shots and so far no flu thank goodness.

Respected Contributor

I stopped getting flu shots a number of years ago because they made me sick.  For days after getting the shot, I felt awful, not as bad as having the flu, but miserable anyway.   So, I decided not to get the shots.   A few years ago I began seeing a new doctor, she told me the only reason she gets the flu immunization shots is because she's required to.   BTW, I have not had the flu! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I get a flu shot every year; this year I felt terrible the night after I got the shot....every muscle in my body hurt severely and I had a roaring headache most of the night.... by lunch time I felt fine...I think I had a mini case of the flu! I have never had a reaction like that. I know the flu is going around here and some schools even closed to try and help keeping it from spreading. I know several who have had the flu recently and have been really sick; one ended up in the hospital. None of them had a flu shot...said they don’t believe in them. I think they might become believers now.....I have gotten a focus shot every year since spending two weeks in the hospital with the flu many years ago...