Honored Contributor

I heard from my dr and listened to the  CDC recently, that getting the flu shot and covid booster, if needed, together or within days of each other is not a thing--I will get the flu shot when available and also the covid booster if needed---

Esteemed Contributor

Always got my flu shot in October until last year when I got it as soon as it became available in late August.  I'll do the same this year so I can get Moderna booster as soon as it is available to me; hopefully October (I'm 77 so should be close to front of line for that shot).

Respected Contributor

I would have no issue getting both. I got my flu shot last year and COVID shot earlier this year and haven't been sick for at least a year. *knock on wood*

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

Re: Flu shot season

[ Edited ]

I saw a woman interviewed on tv this morning who had received a Covid "booster" already.  There is so much conflicting information out there about this third shot, I don't know what to believe.

I wouldn't get my flu shot already in August for the flu.  I would think by the time flu season got her, it would be less efficient.  I have no desire to get a combined flu/Covid vaccine.   

Odd that just last week they said the efficacy for Pfizer drops to 84% after 6 months and now I see figures of half that being quoted.  Is that incorrect or are they changing numbers again?  It struck me as odd that experts were talking about efficacy being reduced to just 84% and the thought of a booster being needed yet when they first talked about a Covid vaccine, they said they'd be happy if it was in the 60% (maybe less) effectiveness range.  Now it's "down to" 84% and they are talking about the necessity of a booster.  

Respected Contributor

I will get my flu shot when available at my hyvee pharmacy. I really want a shingle shot as well,but unfortunately, my insurance will not cover.ive heard shots run around 300.00.for now,not in my budget

Honored Contributor

Re: Flu shot season

[ Edited ]

I always get me flu shot in October.  It is too early now.  It is my understanding that only people with suppressed immune systems will receive the booster.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Thanks for correcting my terminology about boosters and third shots, @pitdakota and @bikerbabe. Using the right terms properly is very important. I edited my post to fix it. Woman Happy

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva :  Last year my Pharmacist said that he thought it was fine for me to get flu shot in August since I routinely get an annual flu shot and there is some residual immunity.  Didn't so much as get a cold last year.

Honored Contributor

@Duckncover wrote:

Hard to do when the flu vaccine isn't available yet,

@Duckncover   It is in California.  When I was in the pharmacy the other day getting my second covid vaccination, a man came in for a flu shot.

Super Contributor

All Pharmacies close to us now have the flu shot. Check you local stores.