Honored Contributor

Because of where I work (back when I was on campus) a flu shot is almost mandatory.  I usually take it early October when they came on campus.  I'm also looking to see if they will come out with an annual booster Covid shot.  Meningitis is more prevalent on campus oddly enough then the flu.  There is a vaccine for that, but I never got it. I remember being worried about it the entire time I was in college.  But I'm past the age where it becomes a concern.

Respected Contributor

I do not see anything wrong with giving people advance notice. September is less than 3 weeks. I would rather receive advance notice than last minute or too late.

Respected Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@pitdakota 

Can you point me in the right direction to read data regarding the Booster for immune suppressed people. I am supposed to get it but I would like to know more.

Hi @tiny 2, I would also encourage you to speak to your primary health care provider for specific information and here is the information from the CDC website:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/immuno.html 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@pitdakota That sounds like a brilliant idea. My thoughts have been this will be an ongoing battle so getting both shots together will be easier for most. It sounds like this has been researched and will have further testing. As much as computers cause me grief, I know they are what have sped up this process. Historically, vaccine developers have not had access to such speedy data results. I have felt the need for boosters will not be going away any time soon.

In the meantime, I will be taking my flu shot in September.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I got an email from Walgreens about it.

Personally, it's way too early for us.  The earliest we go is October.

I heard yesterday they want to mix the flu shot and covid together.

If they do, we are out and won't be getting it.  

@CelticCrafter, what you may have heard is that Moderna has started phase 1 and 2 clinical trials for a mRNA vaccine for seasonal flu.  If they are successful with that clinical trial, they will look at combining both the covid and flu vaccines together on in the future.

There are currently no plans to combine a traditional flu vaccine and the covid-19 vaccine together into one injection.

It is exciting that they are working on the mRNA vaccine for influenza, but the clinical trials are just now starting to take place.  

@pitdakota, funny you should post this. After reading it here, I googled and found out exactly what you said.

Hi @suzyQ3!  Yeah, there are no current plans to combine the 2 vaccines together this year.  I think it is exciting that they are in clinical trials and really hope they are successful.  

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I got an email from Walgreens about it.

Personally, it's way too early for us.  The earliest we go is October.

I heard yesterday they want to mix the flu shot and covid together.

If they do, we are out and won't be getting it.  

@CelticCrafter, what you may have heard is that Moderna has started phase 1 and 2 clinical trials for a mRNA vaccine for seasonal flu.  If they are successful with that clinical trial, they will look at combining both the covid and flu vaccines together on in the future.

There are currently no plans to combine a traditional flu vaccine and the covid-19 vaccine together into one injection.

It is exciting that they are working on the mRNA vaccine for influenza, but the clinical trials are just now starting to take place.  

@pitdakota, funny you should post this. After reading it here, I googled and found out exactly what you said.

@pitdakota 

Hey!  Always good to see both you & your sound advice. 👋 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@tiny 2 wrote:

@pitdakota 

Can you point me in the right direction to read data regarding the Booster for immune suppressed people. I am supposed to get it but I would like to know more.

Hi @tiny 2, I would also encourage you to speak to your primary health care provider for specific information and here is the information from the CDC website:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/immuno.html 

He has already been in touch but I'm not doing it until I read the data that produced this recommendation. Why can't we be tested to determine our level of protection? Is this recommendation based on a small study or several studies or a very large group? I did check the website but I did not see the studies.

Respected Contributor

@tiny 2, some of the data is the clinical contact tracing that a substantial number of individuals with break through infections  (meaning fully vaccinatted) that end up hospitalized are those in these categories.   My university is doing research to evaluate  specific antibody levels for transplant patients  along with monitoring antibody levels of people previously infected with covid-19.    That is only part of the picture though.  Since this is a novel virus they need to correlate those numbers with risk for infection, severity of symptoms, if hospitalized or not, etc.    That data is not currently available for dissemination, but they are getting ready to draw 6 month levels over the next several weeks & will then submit data to the CDC.

You might want to go to the cdc website and do a through search through their morbidty and mortality weekly reports for more information.  

Honored Contributor

In the past 31 years, I have gotten the Flu shot three times.  Each of the three times, months later,  I got SO sick I couldn't believe it.  Even my Doc noticed it, and no longer prompts me to get it.   

Since most of the people in my life get it, there's gotta be a little herd immunity going on ... I think.  I might get another flu shot, but probably not.   To each their own.  

Respected Contributor

They want people with compromised immune systems to get the booster covid third shot.

People that had organ transplants (they have to take immune suppressing drugs)

People that are on chemo which weakens the immune system

Maybe people that are aids victims that have to take anti virals and this may be an issue.

Stuff like that but I have not heard yet that they are recommending run of the mill people that are basically okay for a booster.  Not yet.

I DID hear though that some were telling the shot giver that it was their FIRST shot so they could get a third, but these were people that were in generally good health. 

I think this is wrong.