Honored Contributor

@Duckncover There are restrictions as to who can get the booster. The info is widely available.

Respected Contributor

I get mine usually in Oct.

Respected Contributor

I never miss the flu shot. We usually get ours in late September or early October. No scientific proof to offer but I think it helps prevent some colds. I was concerned about the COVID vaccine booster and the flu shots. After a quick search, I saw the general recommendation was 2 weeks between the two vaccines. Since I had quite a reaction,  I will probably wait 3 weeks to be safe but prioritize COVID.

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

I never miss the flu shot. We usually get ours in late September or early October. No scientific proof to offer but I think it helps prevent some colds. I was concerned about the COVID vaccine booster and the flu shots. After a quick search, I saw the general recommendation was 2 weeks between the two vaccines. Since I had quite a reaction,  I will probably wait 3 weeks to be safe but prioritize COVID.

I wonder whether it would be better to do the flu shot before or after the Covid booster. Probably before, I'm guessing?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Flu shot season

[ Edited ]

Covid booster shots are ONLY for people who are immunocompromised: transplants, had cancer treatments, rare diseases, etc. They are NOT as yet for the general population. So most people won't be eligible. Check with your health provider to be sure. 

I usually get a flu shot in October. I was told that it's not as effective if taken too early. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

We get our flu shots in October.

August seems too early and I haven't seen anything indicating that the flu shots are ready.  Usually the flu shots start to roll out in September.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

Moderna's booster shot available later this year will include a flu shot in their injection. Since we were given Moderna, we will wait and see although not sure if the booster will be recommended for us; if not, we'll get a flu shot. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain This is a big question mark. I have not investigated the flu shot's availability. I would expect the flu vaccine to be available first. The only timeline I have heard for the COVID booster is fall.

Edited to include post above information: If Moderna can mix the two, one stop shot. Problem solved!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Duckncover   The CDC website recommends getting the flu shot in late September or October.  They say to get it before October 30th.  They also say August is too early to get it, because the effectiveness will wane by the time flu season hits.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Currently a third Covid shot (sometimes improperly referred to as a booster shot, but it's really just an additional original shot) is only recommended and available for immunocompromised people.

An actual booster shot is expected for the general population in the fall to help us fight Delta and any other variants circulating by then.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr