Trusted Contributor

Re: Flu Contagion Worse Than Previously Known

Reduce your chances of contracting this nasty flu strain........stay away from the flying Petri dish called an airplane. 

Respected Contributor

My flu started Dec 23 and hung on till Jan 12. I have had the flu only twice in the past 20 years, and I don’t want this strain again!

Honored Contributor

I've really have tried to limited my outings to public places.  Have only bought groceries using Wal-Mart's shopping service.  However, yesterday I had a routine doctors appointment  and really hesitated to go.  I did and they confirmed they're seeing lots of flu.  Used sanitizer in Dr's office, as soon as I got in the car, and scrubbed when I got home.

My big act of preparation for becoming ill was to order a case of my favorite Campbell's soup from Amazon.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

For what it's worth, I'd had Type B flu for a little over two days by the time I was in the hospital.

My team of Docs said they were giving me Tamilfu anyway because there was new research pointing toward Tamiflu helping past the two day date by reducing the impact of the flu.  I had to give consent and I did.  Hey, I didn't die.  

Just sharing what I was told in the most highly regarded hospital where I live.

@Noel7

this is exactly what a dr friend of mine (pediatric critical care) is trying to get across. she said to some of us today ...." even though some get flu, they seemed less sick than others who got flu without the benefit of a vaccine on board. I have seen previously healthy and medically fragile children die from flu. Even 30% effective, the risk/benefit is worth it to me."

she gets the flu shot every year and is of course quite vigilant regarding hand washing. her children also get the shot every year.

http://www.aappublications.org/news/2018/01/12/Flu011218

hoping you are on the road to feeling well again! Heart

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

I've been ordering from Walmart, also.  That way I don't have to go out, be in crowds, handle the charge or cash due, etc.

I just ordered paper towels, paper napkins and a six pack of Puffs with lotion.

I leave them in an enclosed porch for a couple of days before opening.  We stocked up on cans of soup and frozen dinners earlier.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

For what it's worth, I'd had Type B flu for a little over two days by the time I was in the hospital.

My team of Docs said they were giving me Tamilfu anyway because there was new research pointing toward Tamiflu helping past the two day date by reducing the impact of the flu.  I had to give consent and I did.  Hey, I didn't die.  

Just sharing what I was told in the most highly regarded hospital where I live.

@Noel7

this is exactly what a dr friend of mine (pediatric critical care) is trying to get across. she said to some of us today ...." even though some get flu, they seemed less sick than others who got flu without the benefit of a vaccine on board. I have seen previously healthy and medically fragile children die from flu. Even 30% effective, the risk/benefit is worth it to me."

she gets the flu shot every year and is of course quite vigilant regarding hand washing. her children also get the shot every year.

http://www.aappublications.org/news/2018/01/12/Flu011218

hoping you are on the road to feeling well again! Heart

Good to know, and thank you, @sunshine45  I hope you are safe and not exposed!

Honored Contributor

I have never regretted getting a flu shot.  I shudder to think how much worse I would have been without it

I would have been in the hospital last year ,I am sure.  I had it for a month

Esteemed Contributor

@CJC, I think you are right on about the planes.  In my job, I travelled frequently for 30 years.  I know what I'm talking about😩!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@CJC, I think you are right on about the planes.  In my job, I travelled frequently for 30 years.  I know what I'm talking about😩!  LM

Hi @Lilysmom

They went over the plane problem last night in a report I saw.  They advised bringing wipes for the arms, etc. Especially for the pull down trays.  They said those are rarely wiped clean in between flights, they don't have the time, and they have a lot of germs on them.

Honored Contributor

I don't know if this really works, but Colin Powell always took airborne when he flew. He said it gave him protection from germs and viruses