Honored Contributor

Re: Flu Contagion Worse Than Previously Known

@Nonametoday yes, thank you!  I meant anti-viral resistant strain.....something to that effect.....just couldn't think of the word.  I've been schooled today....in a good way!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

@Laura14

I hope you feel better soon.  My respiratory flu began with a low grade fever for days, then hit hart.

I hope you are getting a lot of rest.

Respected Contributor

Flu is a VIRUS and not susceptible to antibiotics. It's also been shown that wearing a surgical mask may not be effective since a lot of tiny airborne particles can get in around the sides of the mask. 

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Laura14

I hope you feel better soon.  My respiratory flu began with a low grade fever for days, then hit hart.

I hope you are getting a lot of rest.

@Noel7  Thank you for your concern.  I haven't had a day off in over a month with my two jobs and I was in a car accident on Sunday so no rest for me.  Those wishing me lots of bad karma, check and mate.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

Flu is a VIRUS and not susceptible to antibiotics. It's also been shown that wearing a surgical mask may not be effective since a lot of tiny airborne particles can get in around the sides of the mask. 

Yes, it is a virus but if a secondary infection sets in and is bacterial an antibiotic has to be given. If a patient develops a bacterial pneumonia, it can kill them. That is why antibiotics are given in cases like that....

Honored Contributor

Well, we can't just sit in the house alone until all threat is gone (well, most of us can't, I would assume), so we take the precautions we can, and hope for the best.

Honored Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

In the hospital with the flu in November, the staff wore those fancy masks that look kind of like Darth Vader.

Hi @Sushismom  I'm glad to see you, hope all is well.

Honored Contributor

Hospitals have to be some of the WORST places to be right now, if you don't want to catch the flu.

Hotbeds of germs!

Respected Contributor

Hi, Noel! I'm doing fine! 

As for those masks, I'm thinking they're the N95 masks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MickD wrote:

@Nonametoday yes, thank you!  I meant anti-viral resistant strain.....something to that effect.....just couldn't think of the word.  I've been schooled today....in a good way!

LOL.  We all do that.  Our strains are not resistant to the flu shots.  If everyone knew the way flu shots are determined from year to year, we would all doubt their efficiacy in the first place.  We have become too global for their methodology of determining which flu is forthcoming in the next year.