Honored Contributor

Re: Flu Contagion Worse Than Previously Known

@dex wrote:

@Laura14 I hope that you stay well.It must be hard working in a pharmacy with so many people coming to get meds while they are sick.

@dex  Thank you.  I have had a fever for a couple of weeks but nothing is manifesting so I am very grateful my immune system seems to be frying the viruses as I come into contact with everyone.  

Honored Contributor

"Flu viruses

Flu  viruses capable of being transferred to hands and causing an infection can survive on hard surfaces for 24 hours. Infectious flu viruses can survive on tissues for only 15 minutes.

Like cold viruses, infectious flu viruses survive for much shorter periods on the hands. After five minutes the amount of flu virus on hands falls to low levels.

Flu viruses can also survive as droplets in the air for several hours; low temperatures increase their survival in the air."-----from google

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

Viruses have always been spread by a cough, sneeze or talking.  It's the droplets that you breathe in and out or expel when you do either one of those three things.  The recipient inhales them if they are in the vicinity and the virus, unfortunately, has found a new host to replicate itself in.  Smiley Sad  

Not all viruses are airborne.  How far it spreads from breathing is now considered a longer distance, also.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

Viruses have always been spread by a cough, sneeze or talking.  It's the droplets that you breathe in and out or expel when you do either one of those three things.  The recipient inhales them if they are in the vicinity and the virus, unfortunately, has found a new host to replicate itself in.  Smiley Sad  

Not all viruses are airborne.  How far it spreads from breathing is now considered a longer distance, also.

I never said they were @Noel7 and if I implied that, I didn't mean too.  However as @SilleeMee just posted, it's certainly the most common way you get exposed to it.  Surface contamination has a much shorter time limit to pick it up that way, literally.   

Honored Contributor

The Bay Area is also experiencing a canine flu virus, considered dangerous and spreading fast from dog to dog, not to a human.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

I never said they were @Noel7 and if I implied that, I didn't mean too.  However as @SilleeMee just posted, it's certainly the most common way you get exposed to it.  Surface contamination has a much shorter time limit to pick it up that way, literally.   

I don't know, the two reports I heard on the late night and morning news said this is new research.  If I hear more, I'll let you know @Laura14

Honored Contributor

@Noel7  There's nothing new about it, in my opinion.  It was in my pharmacy training modules in the infectious disease section and I seriously doubt that just came off the printer.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MickD wrote:

@Noel7 holy h e l l !  Do you think this is just an anomaly in the history of flu viruses?  Or an antibiotic resistant strain?

Just as a point of information, antibiotics are used to kill bacteria, not viruses.  So you might say that ALL viruses (including the flu virus) are "antibiotic resistant."   from Drugs.com:

"Simply put, antibiotics cannot kill viruses because viruses have different structures and replicate in a different way than bacteria. Antibiotics work by targeting the growth machinery in bacteria (not viruses) to kill or inhibit those particular bacteria."

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Noel7  There's nothing new about it, in my opinion.  It was in my pharmacy training modules in the infectious disease section and I seriously doubt that just came off the printer.  

All I can tell you is that's what was reported today as new research by both the all night news and ABC morning news.

Honored Contributor

I've seen people wearing masks the last couple of days.  I wonder how effective they are.

Anyway, not breathing isn't an option, so I have pretty much just been hightailing it out of anywhere where I hear a lot of hacking going on.  Which is pretty much EVERYWHERE lately.  I was at the gym this morning and there was a guy working out in the space I was in and he kept coughing.  I moved to another spot in the gym.  One of my clients (at another studio) had the flu 2 weeks ago, but he didn't pass it on to me, thankfully.

So far in my state 50 people have died, 2 of them children, I think one of them was only 4.

They expect the height of it to be late this month into February, but I don't really know how they know what will happen.

Wishing good health to all here and everywhere!