Honored Contributor

Flu Contagion Worse Than Previously Known

Various news sources are reporting the flu can be contagious through simple breathing.  If someone is sick with the flu, their breath will deliver the pathogens simply by breathing.

Honored Contributor

Re: Flu Contagion Worse Than Previously Known

That would explain why I saw numerous people wearing surgical face masks while grocery shopping today.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 holy h e l l !  Do you think this is just an anomaly in the history of flu viruses?  Or an antibiotic resistant strain?

....ETA I mean an antiviral strain.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

It's scary. I hope I don't get sick.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

That would explain why I saw numerous people wearing surgical face masks while grocery shopping today.

Wow, I'll bet you are right, @deepwaterdotter  It makes sense. 

This flu is a real killer.  It was just announced that another little boy died of it, I guess yesterday.  He looked to be about 9 to me, but I just saw his picture for a second.  CA has already had 26 children die of the flu this year.

Honored Contributor

@MickD wrote:

@Noel7 holy h e l l !  Do you think this is just an anomaly in the history of flu viruses?  Or an antibiotic resistant strain?

Hi Mick, my fear is it's a resistant strain.  They are going to have to up their game in creating flu shots.

What do you think?

You know, I had Type B flu, respiratory, in November.  Five days in the hospital, I almost didn't make it. I don't think I'd ever been that sick.  It's going around the Bay Area now, THAT AND THE TYPE A that's killing people.

@MickD

Honored Contributor

Viruses have always been spread by a cough, sneeze or talking.  It's the droplets that you breathe in and out or expel when you do either one of those three things.  The recipient inhales them if they are in the vicinity and the virus, unfortunately, has found a new host to replicate itself in.  Smiley Sad  

Honored Contributor

Huh?  There's nothing new about that.  Tha's how the flu spreads, from the droplets that are expelled whenever we talk, sneeze, breathe.  If the flu virus is in a droplet and someone breathes it in; they can get the flu.  That's also how the common cold is spread.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 yes, I remember you had this awful deadly flu!  I am slightly panicked for everyone.  Healthy people are dropping dead from this.....just unbelievable.

All I know is that nothing freezes over here in SoCal....ie more germs hangin around, and the height of flu season here is normally in April.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 I hope that you stay well.It must be hard working in a pharmacy with so many people coming to get meds while they are sick.