Honored Contributor

Re: Flu Contagion Worse Than Previously Known

This UV Lamp Could Prevent the Flu Virus From Spreading in Public Places

Researchers have developed an ultraviolet (UV) lamp that kills the influenza virus but isn’t harmful to human skin or eyes, according to a new study in Scientific Reports. They hope the technology can be commercialized and marketed to prevent the spread of seasonal flu in public places, such as schools, hospitals, and airports.

“We’ve known for a century that UV light is extremely efficient at killing microbes, bacteria, and viruses,” says study leader David Brenner, director of the Center for Radiological Research at Columbia University Irving Medical Center.

http://time.com/5142211/uv-light-kills-flu-virus/

Respected Contributor

The problem with the "10% of deaths related to influenza, equalling 4,000" statement is that the 4,000 figure includes both pneumonia and flu deaths.  Not everyone who has flu and dies from flu actually suffered from pneumonia during their illness, and not everyone who has pneumonia and dies from pneumonia suffered from flu at any time during their illness.  That is my big problem with these types of statistics-- they are misleadingly inflated.  You cannot lump everything (in this case P & I) together and then state there is only one cause of death for everyone---> influenza.

There are many types of bacteria that can lead to pneumonia without any help from influenza, like Streptocooccus pneumoniae, Mycoplasma pneumoniae , Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Enterobacter bacteria, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Acinetobacter bacteria, Staphylococcus aureus, MRSA, Haemophilus influenzae, Chlamydophila pneumoniae, and Legionella pneumophila, to name a few.  What is absent?  Influenza.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jersey Born

We know that, pitdakota has gone into it for us.  As I understand it, the only pneumonia included was if the pneumonia was a result of, or related to, having the flu. 

Let me know if I have that wrong.

Honored Contributor

I have been wondering about this myself.  It seems odd to me that they aren't saying anything about pneumonia shots.  I know they are really pushing for people to still get the flu shot.   Since many die of it (pneumonia) due to the flu.... this doesn't make sense to me?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

I have been wondering about this myself.  It seems odd to me that they aren't saying anything about pneumonia shots.  I know they are really pushing for people to still get the flu shot.   Since many die of it (pneumonia) due to the flu.... this doesn't make sense to me?

@jubilant

I think the issue is that there are numerous types of pneumonia with different causes, and not one vaccine that covers them all. 

There are more than 30 different causes of pneumonia, they are grouped by cause.  The main causes are bacterial, viral and micoplasma pneumonia.

Johns Hoplins

Can the flu turn into pneumonia?

Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

Absolutely. The flu can become pneumonia. In fact, about one-third of all pneumonia cases in this country are caused by respiratory viruses, most commonly influenza. As Jason Turowski, MD, a pulmonologist at Cleveland Clinic, puts it, “viruses set up shop and basically wreak havoc on your lungs.” Besides influenza, other causes of pneumonia include bacteria and, less commonly, fungi or parasites.

Pneumonia, an infection that causes inflammation in the lungs, affects millions of Americans each year. It is often mild and generally responds well to treatment, but it can be life-threatening, especially for the very young, the elderly, and people with chronic conditions.

More here:

https://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/paging-dr-gupta/can-flu-turn-into-pneumonia/

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

The problem with the "10% of deaths related to influenza, equalling 4,000" statement is that the 4,000 figure includes both pneumonia and flu deaths.  Not everyone who has flu and dies from flu actually suffered from pneumonia during their illness, and not everyone who has pneumonia and dies from pneumonia suffered from flu at any time during their illness.  That is my big problem with these types of statistics-- they are misleadingly inflated.  You cannot lump everything (in this case P & I) together and then state there is only one cause of death for everyone---> influenza.

There are many types of bacteria that can lead to pneumonia without any help from influenza, like Streptocooccus pneumoniae, Mycoplasma pneumoniae , Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Enterobacter bacteria, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Acinetobacter bacteria, Staphylococcus aureus, MRSA, Haemophilus influenzae, Chlamydophila pneumoniae, and Legionella pneumophila, to name a few.  What is absent?  Influenza.

@Jersey Born:: 

YOUR POST and research/findings were an Exact as I could have written!!!.

There was something relating  (??) that there was someone going

>[ in to this(??)].    Unless this person is working for the supreme INFECIOUS disease at CDC units, I have no idea what more can be said- other than some health tip issues I posted 3 days ago.

ATTENTION:  {{{{{>*** Wednesday, a 7 year old girl was admitted to the hospital with WHAT was thought to be diagnosed by three different physicians .... (*as one  [ _as one OF_ ] the Influenza(s), then released within 3 hours.

THAT was a case where the little patient's parents were to keep her home, have complete quiet, total bed rest, and plenty of fluids.

>> Two hour later, after being home, she died.<<

,,,,,,,,, ____ Not from any Influenza, but strep throat and scarlet fever.

No one, I believe, on THIS board, CAN give anyone an answer, at this time; DETAILS of this FLU, OR how/why this horrific situation is spreading so quickly, but I am staying with my own personal caution facts with being more super smart. This is the WORSE case ratio of any flu, since the SWINE flu.

It is somewhere posted. 

I know I was okay'd by a long list.

".... More so `of common sense 60%. Reminds me a lot of the Plaque, if this becomes more prevalent/ out of control; children are so far, are the ones that have been ruled, as a death from many unknown bacteria(s)/ virus(es).

And not ONLY the flu. There [IS] /are more than one strain going around. 

I applaud this person GOING in """" IF """" >>>> she / he knows more than anyone working around the clock, at The CDC with every means, known... to eradicate even 'just one strain'.