Honored Contributor

Yes, now-a-days, lots of people flying all over the place/world, and with planes filled to capacity, etc., very good chance of getting 'something'.  Colds, allergies to perfumes, whatever, whatever.  'It's always something'.  (not so happy kitty)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I had some virulent kind of flu in early July. I woke up in the night with severe vomiting and diarrea (sp), severe enough that DH , called the paramedics  after a few hours ,and they took me to the ER, temp. of 104.9. I was admitted for three days to let whatever it was run it's course. Very weak afterwards.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Trusted Contributor
@Fona, I, too, got very sick last year with the high dose flu vaccine. Took three days to feel better and stay awake. Several naps were involved, very weak. Several of my friends were Sick also. Two months later I got the flu. Was down for 14 days. Dr said vaccine didn't cover strain. I'm reluctant to get a shot this year. It will not be the high dose. I am relatively healthy and on few medications.
Respected Contributor

I just ordered nose screens from Amazon in the event I need to take my stepmom to her doctor during flu season.  Up close you can see them on your nostrils but I don't care.  

http://www.amazon.com/First-Defense-Nasal-Screens-Multi-Size/dp/B00JZVC40Y/ref=sr_1_2?rps=1&ie=UTF8&...

Super Contributor

@Dawnie wrote:
@Fona, I, too, got very sick last year with the high dose flu vaccine. Took three days to feel better and stay awake. Several naps were involved, very weak. Several of my friends were Sick also. Two months later I got the flu. Was down for 14 days. Dr said vaccine didn't cover strain. I'm reluctant to get a shot this year. It will not be the high dose. I am relatively healthy and on few medications.

Dawnie:  I am so sorry to hear that you, too, had a bad reaction to the High Dose vaccine.  The first three days were horrible, with swollen, sore arm, hives, headache, nausea and diarrhea.  Once they died down, the migraines and lack-of-energy appeared and just didn't go away.  I had had a regular shot for many years and never even had a reaction.  When I listened to the pharmacist at Walgreens three years ago, the High Dose was very new and he made it sound so good for seniors.  The result has been that now I cannot even get a regular flu shot because apparently, if I were to have a reaction, it would be very severe.  Since you had a bad reaction, be sure to mention it because you may then find that they will not give you a shot this year anyway (and I am sure you do not want to risk a bad reaction).  Sadly, my doctor told me last year that I may never be "eligible" to get even a regular shot again. 

On a different note to some other posters, I was interested to read your comments about how easily it is to catch flu when travelling.  The reason I decided many years ago to get a regular flu shot every year was because I managed to catch the flu almost every year when I flew to England for the Christmas holidays.  I would get there and be ill over the holidays, or I would return to the US after the holidays and be ill.  Anyway, I am glad so many posters are getting regular flu shots and I hope they keep you all healthy and happy.

Super Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@Fona wrote:

@spud188 wrote:

I got mine last week.He asked if I wanted the regular shot or the mega dose for Seniors. You haven't been asked that??

SPUD:  For the past two years I haven't been able to get a flu shot.  Why?  Because three years ago I was asked at Walgreens if I wanted the "new super duper" Fluzone High Dose flu shot for seniors.  After listening to a glowing description, it sounded good so I went ahead.  From the very next morning I went from being a very healthy, very active senior to a very sick person.  For the next year I suffered from constant migraine and serious lack of energy (enough to put a lot of my life on "hold") and I struggled through it until it gradually subsided over about a year.  My doctor said I was probably allergic to one of the ingredients.  I did write this up on one of these forums but was shouted down by some of the old bullies, some of whom insisted I just had the flu (for over a year...?) and, of course, some of them had had the High Dose shot so insisted I was wrong.   Of course I realize that my symptoms were probably in a minority, but since I had a nasty reaction to the vaccine, I am now not able to get a flu shot.   If anyone reading this doubts what I am saying, please be aware that during a lot of research on this High Dose vaccine, I learned that quite a number of seniors (many in other countries) also either died or had very bad reactions.  My big shock was to read that the research wouldn't be complete until 2016 but the vaccine had been put out early because of a very bad flu season in 2011.  So, if you are tempted to get the High Dose shot, just keep one thing in mind.  This shot is four times stronger than the regular shot and it is only intended for frail seniors with very weak immune systems.  Unfortunately, I learned that that piece of information had not been passed on to many doctors and pharmacists, and the year I had my shot they were offering it to all seniors, even the healthy ones.  If you are a healthy senior, please think twice if you are offered this shot because it is very strong.  As I mentioned above, this happened to me three years ago so something might have changed, but please just be careful.  I would not wish anyone ever to go through what I went through.

I would be reluctant to give mega dose vaccine to a frail senior with compromised immune system; they would be more apt to have a reaction. 

Greenhouse:  ...and yet apparently the High Dose vaccine was developed particularly for frail seniors. 

Honored Contributor

@Tissyanne wrote:

My doctor told me today to get the flu shot in October. She said it would be most effective during peak flu season that way. 

@Tissyanne and everyone: That's what my Mom's doctor said, too. The doctor said to get the regular flu shot in early October. It takes two weeks to become effective. The doctor said the flu shot lasts about six months, so that will take us until late April, when hopefully the flu season is winding down. We are in Chicagoland. Be well to all, EEL

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, the flu is already here in America and active.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Thanks for sharing this. I'm still getting over a cough from a cold I had last month, but I'll go get my shot as soon as I stop coughing.

Honored Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@Tissyanne wrote:

My doctor told me today to get the flu shot in October. She said it would be most effective during peak flu season that way. 

The thinking has changed on that....there is no defined "flu season" due to international travel.  Flu can occur anytime as flu seasons differ abroad and people bring back flu.  It is advised to get your immunization as soon as the current vaccine is available.  When I worked in the corporate world where everyone did international travel, I started in August and we had a rare case of influenza and only with unvaccinated employees.

I believe that my doctor knows best for the patients she has under her care. So "the thinking" is not what I base my decisions on in health care.