Honored Contributor

The flu is already active in North Carolina.

Personally, I'd rather get the vaccine sooner than later.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor

@Tissyanne wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

@Tissyanne wrote:

My doctor told me today to get the flu shot in October. She said it would be most effective during peak flu season that way. 

The thinking has changed on that....there is no defined "flu season" due to international travel.  Flu can occur anytime as flu seasons differ abroad and people bring back flu.  It is advised to get your immunization as soon as the current vaccine is available.  When I worked in the corporate world where everyone did international travel, I started in August and we had a rare case of influenza and only with unvaccinated employees.

I believe that my doctor knows best for the patients she has under her care. So "the thinking" is not what I base my decisions on in health care. 

Do as you wish, it is CDC thinking not mine. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Re: allergies.  I definitely understand.  I have sensitivities to many things, so I tend to steer away from 'new' types of whatevers.  Better to 'wait and see' what happens to others first.  Some docs we know prescribe the 'oldies' meds instead of the newest ones, because they aren't quite sure how well the new ones work, experience-wise.  In other words, what has generally worked the best for their patients is what they prescribe instead of the new varieties.  

I am with you and am a nurse.  I had a reaction to the pneumonia immunization and that is rare but the influenza is ok, regular strength.  It has served me well so I wouldn't go for the higher dose.  I worked in a riskier environment before retirement so I am not in contact with infected populations now...I will stay with the usual. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Fona wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

@Fona wrote:

@spud188 wrote:

I got mine last week.He asked if I wanted the regular shot or the mega dose for Seniors. You haven't been asked that??

SPUD:  For the past two years I haven't been able to get a flu shot.  Why?  Because three years ago I was asked at Walgreens if I wanted the "new super duper" Fluzone High Dose flu shot for seniors.  After listening to a glowing description, it sounded good so I went ahead.  From the very next morning I went from being a very healthy, very active senior to a very sick person.  For the next year I suffered from constant migraine and serious lack of energy (enough to put a lot of my life on "hold") and I struggled through it until it gradually subsided over about a year.  My doctor said I was probably allergic to one of the ingredients.  I did write this up on one of these forums but was shouted down by some of the old bullies, some of whom insisted I just had the flu (for over a year...?) and, of course, some of them had had the High Dose shot so insisted I was wrong.   Of course I realize that my symptoms were probably in a minority, but since I had a nasty reaction to the vaccine, I am now not able to get a flu shot.   If anyone reading this doubts what I am saying, please be aware that during a lot of research on this High Dose vaccine, I learned that quite a number of seniors (many in other countries) also either died or had very bad reactions.  My big shock was to read that the research wouldn't be complete until 2016 but the vaccine had been put out early because of a very bad flu season in 2011.  So, if you are tempted to get the High Dose shot, just keep one thing in mind.  This shot is four times stronger than the regular shot and it is only intended for frail seniors with very weak immune systems.  Unfortunately, I learned that that piece of information had not been passed on to many doctors and pharmacists, and the year I had my shot they were offering it to all seniors, even the healthy ones.  If you are a healthy senior, please think twice if you are offered this shot because it is very strong.  As I mentioned above, this happened to me three years ago so something might have changed, but please just be careful.  I would not wish anyone ever to go through what I went through.

I would be reluctant to give mega dose vaccine to a frail senior with compromised immune system; they would be more apt to have a reaction. 

Greenhouse:  ...and yet apparently the High Dose vaccine was developed particularly for frail seniors. 

Yes, I know but for an older family member, frail....I don't think I would approve it for them.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

Thanks for sharing this. I'm still getting over a cough from a cold I had last month, but I'll go get my shot as soon as I stop coughing.

Yes, wise and if you are on abs wait, at least a week after so that you are sure you are over it. 

Honored Contributor

I get a flu shot as soon as they are available in my area, this year it was around Sept 10th.  

I get 2nd one in mid December, as a precaution recommended by my physicians.

The only reaction I've ever had to the flu shot is a little redness at the injection site - a small price to pay!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

I get a flu shot as soon as they are available in my area, this year it was around Sept 10th.  

The only reaction I've ever had to the flu shot is a little redness at the injection site - a small price to pay!

That's interesting, Drythe.  Does your insurance pay for both injections?  

Trusted Contributor

Thankyou for sharing your story Fona and others.

I did opt for the duper dose,no problem with it. I am not frail,I am a little irritated he even offered it??

Respected Contributor

Re: Flu Arrives Early

[ Edited ]

I was offered the senior shot but just got the regular one.  I will not take it until I see clinical data on its effectiveness and safety.

An article on one clinical trial, stated the senior shot was beneficial to seniors, however there was no unvaccinated group for comparison. The reasoning was it would be both unethical and dangerous for a senior group to be unvaccinated for a clinical study. I understand their concern, but without a control group I don't see how accurate clinical data could be compiled.

As an aside, the regular flu shot gave me all kinds of aches

and pains this year.  Ironically, the shot itself was painless and my arm was barely sore afterward.  Very strange reactions.

Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

I am curious....do you get some type of booster or do you get a divided dose due to a medical condition? I am not asking you to disclose your health info.