Honored Contributor

We are still in pa for a few weeks and when I asked at the walgreens here the pharmacist said they don't have the flu vaccine as yet. So , since we are returning to Florida the first week of October I will get it there.The walgreens pharmacist in this small town is horrible IMO. I think he descriminates against people who don't live here full time.He hasn't once in 5 years we have snowbirded here been able to completely fill a Rx - he gives a week worth then you have to keep going back into town every week to get more. Pain in the neck! So he achieved what he wanted - we go 10 miles to the next Walgreens down the road now.

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Tissyanne wrote:

My doctor told me today to get the flu shot in October. She said it would be most effective during peak flu season that way. 

Did your doctor tell you when flu season is expected to peak this year?

Mid July. 

original-4.gif

Honored Contributor

Got my flu shot September 1st at my local Target.  I've been getting flu shots for many years now (ever since I came down many years ago with the Hong Kong flu.  I was so sick that I pretty much lost a week of my life, right at Christmas).  I would never go without getting the flu shot each year.

Trusted Contributor

I got mine last week.He asked if I wanted the regular shot or the mega dose for Seniors. You haven't been asked that??

Honored Contributor

I'd like to know why we have so many flu(s) going around now-a-days.  My gosh.........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@Tissyanne wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@Tissyanne wrote:

My doctor told me today to get the flu shot in October. She said it would be most effective during peak flu season that way. 

Did your doctor tell you when flu season is expected to peak this year?

Mid July. 

original-4.gif

Thank you so much.  Guess I'll have to go with the ivory towers of the CDC instead of those on the frontlines.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

Ugh, thanks for the reminder.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

@foundinlv - also make sure to disinfect remotes, cell phones as well as regular phones, steering wheels and car shift knob.

Honored Contributor

DH and I will be getting our free flu shots at his employer next week Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

@spud188 wrote:

I got mine last week.He asked if I wanted the regular shot or the mega dose for Seniors. You haven't been asked that??

SPUD:  For the past two years I haven't been able to get a flu shot.  Why?  Because three years ago I was asked at Walgreens if I wanted the "new super duper" Fluzone High Dose flu shot for seniors.  After listening to a glowing description, it sounded good so I went ahead.  From the very next morning I went from being a very healthy, very active senior to a very sick person.  For the next year I suffered from constant migraine and serious lack of energy (enough to put a lot of my life on "hold") and I struggled through it until it gradually subsided over about a year.  My doctor said I was probably allergic to one of the ingredients.  I did write this up on one of these forums but was shouted down by some of the old bullies, some of whom insisted I just had the flu (for over a year...?) and, of course, some of them had had the High Dose shot so insisted I was wrong.   Of course I realize that my symptoms were probably in a minority, but since I had a nasty reaction to the vaccine, I am now not able to get a flu shot.   If anyone reading this doubts what I am saying, please be aware that during a lot of research on this High Dose vaccine, I learned that quite a number of seniors (many in other countries) also either died or had very bad reactions.  My big shock was to read that the research wouldn't be complete until 2016 but the vaccine had been put out early because of a very bad flu season in 2011.  So, if you are tempted to get the High Dose shot, just keep one thing in mind.  This shot is four times stronger than the regular shot and it is only intended for frail seniors with very weak immune systems.  Unfortunately, I learned that that piece of information had not been passed on to many doctors and pharmacists, and the year I had my shot they were offering it to all seniors, even the healthy ones.  If you are a healthy senior, please think twice if you are offered this shot because it is very strong.  As I mentioned above, this happened to me three years ago so something might have changed, but please just be careful.  I would not wish anyone ever to go through what I went through.