Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I'd like to know why we have so many flu(s) going around now-a-days.  My gosh.........

Because the flu is a virus, and viruses mutate. 

Trusted Contributor

I am afraid of the senior shot. I also read bad reviews. Yet on the TV they got  seniors dancing around telling them to get the shot. No amount of dancing is going to get me one.

Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

I'd like to know why we have so many flu(s) going around now-a-days.  My gosh.........

They come from travelers...the organisms from Australia may differ from those commonly  seen in the US.  Like when you travel, some immunizations required are for protection of the indigenous population not the traveler.   Many causes.

Trusted Contributor

@Vickiv wrote:

I am afraid of the senior shot. I also read bad reviews. Yet on the TV they got  seniors dancing around telling them to get the shot. No amount of dancing is going to get me one.

I will not get the senior shot.  Last year my husband got it and had a terrible reaction the next day, arms and legs so weak he could hardly lift them, and general sick feeling.  When i went to get mine I opted out and just got the "regular" shot and as usual had no after effects.

Esteemed Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

They come from travelers...the organisms from Australia may differ from those commonly  seen in the US.  Like when you travel, some immunizations required are for protection of the indigenous population not the traveler.   Many causes.

Yes, new organisms are brought in via planes, but virus also mutate. That's why they have a new vaccine every year. Because the virus itself changes.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

I get a flu shot as soon as they are available in my area, this year it was around Sept 10th.  

I get 2nd one in mid December, as a precaution recommended by my physicians.

The only reaction I've ever had to the flu shot is a little redness at the injection site - a small price to pay!

That's interesting, Drythe.  Does your insurance pay for both injections?  

@tansy

Yes, with a note from my physician.  Even if insurance did not pay, I'd pay OOP because I'm pretty high risk.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras