Honored Contributor

When I got my flu shot at Target, the NP asked if I wanted the regular senior dose or the "super" (or whatever they're calling it).  Since I hadn't checked with my own doctor, I opted to go with the regular senior dose.  It seems to have worked well for me in the years I've been getting the senior dose, so I saw no reason to change (again, without first checking with my doc).  

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

We are still in pa for a few weeks and when I asked at the walgreens here the pharmacist said they don't have the flu vaccine as yet. So , since we are returning to Florida the first week of October I will get it there.The walgreens pharmacist in this small town is horrible IMO. I think he descriminates against people who don't live here full time.He hasn't once in 5 years we have snowbirded here been able to completely fill a Rx - he gives a week worth then you have to keep going back into town every week to get more. Pain in the neck! So he achieved what he wanted - we go 10 miles to the next Walgreens down the road now.

I avoid that store, I did see Giant Eagle is advertising flu shots, so they must have them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tissyanne wrote:

My doctor told me today to get the flu shot in October. She said it would be most effective during peak flu season that way. 

The thinking has changed on that....there is no defined "flu season" due to international travel.  Flu can occur anytime as flu seasons differ abroad and people bring back flu.  It is advised to get your immunization as soon as the current vaccine is available.  When I worked in the corporate world where everyone did international travel, I started in August and we had a rare case of influenza and only with unvaccinated employees.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I'd like to know why we have so many flu(s) going around now-a-days.  My gosh.........

Travel....flu seasons starts in other countries different times and travelers bring it back.  Thus, flu shots are not given earlier now. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Fona wrote:

@spud188 wrote:

I got mine last week.He asked if I wanted the regular shot or the mega dose for Seniors. You haven't been asked that??

SPUD:  For the past two years I haven't been able to get a flu shot.  Why?  Because three years ago I was asked at Walgreens if I wanted the "new super duper" Fluzone High Dose flu shot for seniors.  After listening to a glowing description, it sounded good so I went ahead.  From the very next morning I went from being a very healthy, very active senior to a very sick person.  For the next year I suffered from constant migraine and serious lack of energy (enough to put a lot of my life on "hold") and I struggled through it until it gradually subsided over about a year.  My doctor said I was probably allergic to one of the ingredients.  I did write this up on one of these forums but was shouted down by some of the old bullies, some of whom insisted I just had the flu (for over a year...?) and, of course, some of them had had the High Dose shot so insisted I was wrong.   Of course I realize that my symptoms were probably in a minority, but since I had a nasty reaction to the vaccine, I am now not able to get a flu shot.   If anyone reading this doubts what I am saying, please be aware that during a lot of research on this High Dose vaccine, I learned that quite a number of seniors (many in other countries) also either died or had very bad reactions.  My big shock was to read that the research wouldn't be complete until 2016 but the vaccine had been put out early because of a very bad flu season in 2011.  So, if you are tempted to get the High Dose shot, just keep one thing in mind.  This shot is four times stronger than the regular shot and it is only intended for frail seniors with very weak immune systems.  Unfortunately, I learned that that piece of information had not been passed on to many doctors and pharmacists, and the year I had my shot they were offering it to all seniors, even the healthy ones.  If you are a healthy senior, please think twice if you are offered this shot because it is very strong.  As I mentioned above, this happened to me three years ago so something might have changed, but please just be careful.  I would not wish anyone ever to go through what I went through.

I would be reluctant to give mega dose vaccine to a frail senior with compromised immune system; they would be more apt to have a reaction. 

Respected Contributor

Greenhouse, My doctor says the same--best to have the shot when the vaccines become available. 

Still, SE FL where I live, the holiday season usually marks the beginning of flu here, what with people on vacation, Christmas visitors, and snowbirds who go back and forth for the holidays. Dec.-March are usually bad months here. 

A flu-ey and persistent cold is already circulating this year, though, and has been for the last month or so.

Esteemed Contributor

@Fona wrote:

@spud188 wrote:

I got mine last week.He asked if I wanted the regular shot or the mega dose for Seniors. You haven't been asked that??

SPUD:  For the past two years I haven't been able to get a flu shot.  Why?  Because three years ago I was asked at Walgreens if I wanted the "new super duper" Fluzone High Dose flu shot for seniors.  After listening to a glowing description, it sounded good so I went ahead.  From the very next morning I went from being a very healthy, very active senior to a very sick person.  For the next year I suffered from constant migraine and serious lack of energy (enough to put a lot of my life on "hold") and I struggled through it until it gradually subsided over about a year.  My doctor said I was probably allergic to one of the ingredients.  I did write this up on one of these forums but was shouted down by some of the old bullies, some of whom insisted I just had the flu (for over a year...?) and, of course, some of them had had the High Dose shot so insisted I was wrong.   Of course I realize that my symptoms were probably in a minority, but since I had a nasty reaction to the vaccine, I am now not able to get a flu shot.   If anyone reading this doubts what I am saying, please be aware that during a lot of research on this High Dose vaccine, I learned that quite a number of seniors (many in other countries) also either died or had very bad reactions.  My big shock was to read that the research wouldn't be complete until 2016 but the vaccine had been put out early because of a very bad flu season in 2011.  So, if you are tempted to get the High Dose shot, just keep one thing in mind.  This shot is four times stronger than the regular shot and it is only intended for frail seniors with very weak immune systems.  Unfortunately, I learned that that piece of information had not been passed on to many doctors and pharmacists, and the year I had my shot they were offering it to all seniors, even the healthy ones.  If you are a healthy senior, please think twice if you are offered this shot because it is very strong.  As I mentioned above, this happened to me three years ago so something might have changed, but please just be careful.  I would not wish anyone ever to go through what I went through.

@Fona

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I've turned down the high dose senior shot in the past because I just didn't have a good feeling about it. I get a flu shot every year, and I'll stick to the regular dose thanks to your story. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

Greenhouse, My doctor says the same--best to have the shot when the vaccines become available. 

Still, SE FL where I live, the holiday season usually marks the beginning of flu here, what with people on vacation, Christmas visitors, and snowbirds who go back and forth for the holidays. Dec.-March are usually bad months here. 

A flu-ey and persistent cold is already circulating this year, though, and has been for the last month or so.

It is best as they are reporting flu already, most likely, imported from another country via vacationers

Honored Contributor

@Marp

We were in PA last week. Already PA was stating the statistics for outbreaks per county. We flew on a plane where people were sneezing/coughing.

remembering teaching, I was the first to get sick every year, but then (knock on wood) never have gotten a true case of flu.

Flu vaccine increases my overall resistance to everything except sinus infections, so the sooner I can get it, the better.

Our family has been sick over the summer.. Right now, this current infection, sure feels like the flu. I call it "attack on the mucous membranes."

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: Flu Arrives Early

[ Edited ]

Re: allergies.  I definitely understand.  I have sensitivities to many things, so I tend to steer away from 'new' types of whatevers.  Better to 'wait and see' what happens to others first.  Some docs we know prescribe the 'oldies' meds instead of the newest ones, because they aren't quite sure how well the new ones work, experience-wise.  In other words, what has generally worked the best for their patients is what they prescribe instead of the new varieties.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).