Honored Contributor

Re: Flory Jagoda, Flame-keeper of Traditional Sephardic Music, Dies at 97

KatieB,

When I read Mrs. Jagoda's obituary today, my antennae stood at attention when I read the word "Sephardic."  I am certain that those more knowledgeable on this subject can offer more (or correct me), but as a non-Jew, my understanding has always been that there are two historically different Jewish heritages:  the Ashkenazi and the Sephardic.

The Ashkenazi Jews originated in Eastern Europe while the Sephardic Jews were part of the Jewish population that inhabited the Iberian Peninsula until the Spanish Inquisition.  The population fled to many countries.  I am aware that many of these Sephardic Jews went to northern Greece, if I recall correctly.

Honored Contributor

Dulwich,

I, too, thought Mrs. Jagoda's singing was charming.  What a delightful tune her "Eight Little Candles" is.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KatieB  Sepharad is the Hebrew name for Spain, the nation supposedly founded by Sepharad, the son of Japeth, and grandson of Noah. Jews lived in Spain from the days of the Roman Empire until they were expelled by Ferdinand and Isabella in 1492, shortly before Columbus set sail for the New World. Those who did not leave either converted to Christianity or were killed by the Inquisition. The exiles, the Spanish-speaking Sephardic Jews, were rescued by the Ottoman Sultan Beyazid II who sent ships to guide the refugees to the Ottoman Empire. They settled in what is now Turkey, Greece, Italy, Southern France, Bulgaria, Romania, the Balkan Nations and Morocco. They brought with them a rich culture, and the Spanish language, which evolved into the language known today as Ladino, which is a dialect of Spanish. The music is beautiful, combining the Spanish language with melodies and rhythms of Turkey, Greece, Morocco, and the other lands where they settled. 

Here is one of Flory Jagoda's songs, "Adio, Kerida"

https://youtu.be/52sBpWYkSeg

Other singers you might like to hear, if you are interested, are Yasmin Levy, Gerard Edery (my fave!), Ofri Elias, Los Desterrados, Stefani Valadez, Fortuna; there are so many. Unfortunately, the Ladino language is rarely spoken anymore and the only way it lives on is through the music. I'm fortunate to have learned it from my maternal grandparents.

Trusted Contributor

@golding76  Thank you soooo much for posting this, or should I say, "Munchas gracias".🥰  (No this isn't a typo. It's how you say "many" in Ladino.) Ladino is fading fast and it is very important to keep the language alive though the music. Flory was a treasure, but thanks to her, there are others who are doing their part to keep our music and culture alive.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KatieB wrote:

@golding76    What is Sephardic music?  Never heard of what ever it is.

@KatieB @There are three large groups of Jews with ancestors hailing from three different global regions. There's Ashkenazi, with ancestors hailing from Central or Eastern Europe; Mizrahi, with accestors hailing from the Middle East or Northern Africa and the Sephardic, with ancestors hailing from the Iberian Peninsula including Spain and Portugal and from their descendants hailing from Greece and other countries. Sephardic Music comes from the Sephardic Jews. 

From Wikipedia:

"Sephardic music has its roots in the musical traditions of the Jewish communities in medieval Spain and medieval Portugal. ... Lyrics were preserved by communities formed by the Jews expelled from the Iberian Peninsula. These Sephardiccommunities share many of the same lyrics and poems, but the melodies vary considerably."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

buffalogal47,

As I key this post, I have Gerard Edery playing in the background.  Thank you for your wealth of information on Sephardic Jews and those who have kept their music alive.  All new names for me!  

Edery is haunting.  I'll most likely go down your list of singers and see what YouTube offers.

It hit me as I was writing this that the popular singer Eydie Gormé was a Sephardic Jew.  I always remembered that about her.  She was married to another popular singer, Steve Lawrence.  

ETA:  Clicked on "Adio, Kerida."  Stunning with its mysterious beauty.  I am loving this music!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much, Mindy D, for sharing your valuable and rich understanding of Jewish people, Sephardic Jews and their vibrant music.

[Dollar to donuts, Isaac Mizrahi's family originated in the Middle East, right?]

Respected Contributor

@Buffalogal47   The link  you posted  is just beautiful thank you.   Will definitely be checking other singers but Flory is really special.

Thank you for history you posted I knew nothing of this music- good to hear something so beautiful.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@golding76 wrote:

Thank you so much, Mindy D, for sharing your valuable and rich understanding of Jewish people, Sephardic Jews and their vibrant music.

[Dollar to donuts, Isaac Mizrahi's family originated in the Middle East, right?]

@golding76 @His surname is a strong indicator of Mizrahi influences in his family tree. All of the groups have been subject to migrations over time, but chances are, if he were to have his DNA sequenced there would be a signiicant percentage of Mizrahi in his mix.

Esteemed Contributor

Amazing, thanks for sharing.