Esteemed Contributor

Re: Florida vs Nebraska for Retirement

This is a tough one to say the least.  I guess every situation is different.   Myself however, 

I am a New Englander through and through.  You can take me out of NE but you can't take the NE out of me........I had cousins that moved to Florida and then to North Carolina only to finally come back home to New England.   Not to bust them up but they would be a lot better off finacially had they just stayed here!!   

My parents have both passed but my motherinlaw in 87 and having a difficult time these days.  Thankful she is local so we don't have to make that decison.  Best of luck.

Super Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

It SNOWS in Nebraska.    That would be the deal-breaker for me!!!!

Florida has hurricanes-often devastating ones (Hurricane Michael).

Respected Contributor

I have NEVER understood why family move to where the person who needs the care is.  The person in need of care should be located to where the help and caregiver is located.   It is often the caregiver that needs the most help and support.

Respected Contributor

@BornToShop 

If it were me, I would not make the decision based on cost of living, but since that is a factor for you, I urge you to do some cost of living research. For example, no income tax in FL is offset by higher prices for housing, food, and energy in comparison to NE prices for those things.

I would also not make this decision based on recommendations from posters on a shopping forum. I would look inside myself to figure out what I really want.

In a previous post, someone said that are constant dusty winds in NE. I live in Ne, and OMG, that is simply not true. I I don't remember ever experiencing dusty wind in the 40+ years I've been here.

Good luck to you. I hope you arrive at the decision that is right for you.

Honored Contributor

@BornToShop, since all of your family lives in Nebraska that is where I would want to be. You can certainly go visit your son in FL anytime. Mom should be your primary concern at this time.

Super Contributor

Make sure you check car insurance rates for Florida. My friend in Florida says it's a wash in relation to no retirement state income taxes.

Trusted Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

Nothing would make me consider living in FL!  That's just my opinion and I realize it's basically worthless.  I have been to FL, but never Nebraska, so I'm basing my opinion only what I know about FL.  Other than mild winters and no state income taxes I can't think of anything else good about FL. 

Well we DO have Disney!  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Disney just attracts all those ill-mannered tourists.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

Nothing would make me consider living in FL!  That's just my opinion and I realize it's basically worthless.  I have been to FL, but never Nebraska, so I'm basing my opinion only what I know about FL.  Other than mild winters and no state income taxes I can't think of anything else good about FL. 

ITA . LOL, and I live in S. FL for 33 years.  I dislike it more every year.

Honored Contributor

@Harvard99 wrote:

@this is my nic wrote:

ITA . LOL, and I live in S. FL for 33 years.  I dislike it more every year.

@Harvard99.  That's the way I was about Texas, especially Houston.  I managed to escape after 35 years and have never looked back.  The happiest sight I ever saw was Houston in my rear view mirror.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment