Esteemed Contributor

Florida to order self isolation for some visitors

New Yorkers visiting Florida must self-quarantine for two weeks, governor orders

Gov. Ron DeSantis said Monday he was issuing an executive order requiring people coming to Florida from the New York City coronavirus hot spot region to self-quarantine for 14 days.

He said that New York’s order for people to stay home to curb the spread of the new coronavirus has led people to leave and come to Florida.

“As soon as that shelter in place order came down for the New York governor, man, the flights took off. People just got out of Dodge,” he said.

DeSantis said Florida’s efforts to battle the coronavirus pandemic are being undermined by the influx of people from the New York area since the imposition of stay-at-home orders. He said there is “a flood of people still coming from New York City.”

He said there were more than 190 direct flights from New York City-area airports to Florida on Monday. “I would reckon, given the outbreak there, that every single flight has somebody on it who’s positive for COVID-19,” DeSantis said. “So as we’re trying to stop it in the state of Florida, you’re consistently having people come in from one of the top hot spots in the world.”

He said he would issue an executive order directing the Florida surgeon general to issue quarantine orders. He said anyone from New York and New Jersey would have to do “a mandatory 14-day self-isolation.”

More:  sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-new-york-coronavirus-lockdown-exodus-to-florida-20200323-vqbk4ri7grgqrfkt32hyctmxe4-story.html

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Re: Florida to order self isolation for some visitors

Wonder HOW they will monitor this?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

What about people traveling in cars?  

Honored Contributor

So the Governor of FL is actually focusing on people allegedly fleeing to FL from NY after he failed to close beaches and take other measures? Talk about a diversion tactic. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree @tansy , what about the people traveling in cars?

I resent this very much coming from the Florida governor! What about the snowbirds driving north for the spring and summer season? Have they been checked out? As of yesterday there were 7 cases on Cape Cod, by the end of the month I'm pretty sure the number will be tripled or quadrupled!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

Or making connections. Instead of LGA-TPA, they'll go LGA-DTW-TPA. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@tansy,  this is from the cited article:  Motorists traveling to Florida won’t be subject to similar checks, DeSantis said during a Monday afternoon news conference in Tallahassee.

Another well thought out plan--NOT.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Makes sense to me -   it's safer for those of us already here and for them too - because if they're coming to SE Florida, we already have more confirmed cases than most states.  I think only NY and CA are ahead of us.  This isn't a contest I'm happy to win!

BTW-   My BIL flew from here last Tuesday to his home in Maryland.  He lives in an independent living building.  He was immediately quarantined to his apartment for 2 weeks.

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@tansy,  this is from the cited article:  Motorists traveling to Florida won’t be subject to similar checks, DeSantis said during a Monday afternoon news conference in Tallahassee.

Another well thought out plan--NOT.

images-2.jpeg

Hard to understand how this helps, but OH WELL.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

New Yorkers visiting Florida must self-quarantine for two weeks, governor orders

Gov. Ron DeSantis said Monday he was issuing an executive order requiring people coming to Florida from the New York City coronavirus hot spot region to self-quarantine for 14 days.

He said that New York’s order for people to stay home to curb the spread of the new coronavirus has led people to leave and come to Florida.

“As soon as that shelter in place order came down for the New York governor, man, the flights took off. People just got out of Dodge,” he said.

DeSantis said Florida’s efforts to battle the coronavirus pandemic are being undermined by the influx of people from the New York area since the imposition of stay-at-home orders. He said there is “a flood of people still coming from New York City.”

He said there were more than 190 direct flights from New York City-area airports to Florida on Monday. “I would reckon, given the outbreak there, that every single flight has somebody on it who’s positive for COVID-19,” DeSantis said. “So as we’re trying to stop it in the state of Florida, you’re consistently having people come in from one of the top hot spots in the world.”

He said he would issue an executive order directing the Florida surgeon general to issue quarantine orders. He said anyone from New York and New Jersey would have to do “a mandatory 14-day self-isolation.”

More:  sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-new-york-coronavirus-lockdown-exodus-to-florida-20200323-vqbk4ri7grgqrfkt32hyctmxe4-story.html

The Governor won't lock down Floridians, but will lock down New Yorkers? I wonder if he checked the U.S. Constitution before making that statement.