Reply
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,945
Registered: ‎09-18-2010

Re: Florida Numbers as of June 16

Our numbers in Florida are increasing daily by leaps and bounds for testing positive.  Where I live, the majority of older people are wearing masks but the younger ones are not.  I question our Govenor's push to have the convention, here, in Jacksonville when our numbers are increasing.  This virus in not under control in our state but a number of people are reacting as if it is.  I do not live in fear but would rather err on the side of caution.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,033
Registered: ‎06-25-2012

Re: Florida Numbers as of June 16

I refuse to live in fear anymore. Been there done that. We all have to adjust our way of life until this virus runs its course or a vaccine comes out. 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,178
Registered: ‎11-15-2011

Re: Florida Numbers as of June 16

[ Edited ]

@FiddleDeeDee   Where your husband works is hardly in the city of Tampa!  

 

 

 

 

The beaches are not in Tampa.  Tampa is not in Pinellas county, it's in Hillsborough.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,945
Registered: ‎09-18-2010

Re: Florida Numbers as of June 16

@Zhills   Your response should not be to FiddleDeeDee.  She never stated Pinellas County and she stated her husband works in Tampa and nothing else.  Your remarks should be directed toward Mindy D.

 

Respected Contributor
Mindy D
Posts: 4,762
Registered: ‎05-23-2010
 
Re: Florida Numbers as of June 16 [ Edited ]
 
@Hoovermom wrote:
@Mindy D wrote:
@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

The county we are moving to has the same numbers as where we are in MD/DC. I asked DH (who is there now) what's going on and he said that area of our home, everyone is in masks and often gloves. However, in Tampa (where he works), no one he has seen is doing anything. Neighbors think that Tampa is seeing higher numbers due to the International Airport that is located there (same with BWI and Dullas in my area) as people fly in and out for the beaches/Disney, etc. Community pools are not opening so unless you have a private pool, no pools. Schools have no plans to open as of now either.

@FiddleDeeDee @One key reason for Tampas's stats is that their beaches were open and packed on a Memorial Day while MD AND BC beaches didn't open until after Memorial Day weekend.

You obviously missed the amount of test almost double during this time.   I have looked at the covid tracking website, and I don't see your reasoning.  

@Hoovermom @Your point is well-taken. Your reasoning is good. We we're discussing the difference in the numbers between two Florida cities and their counties, Miami-Dade and Tampa, Pinellas County.  There is some difference in numbers tested, with 242,000 tested in MD and 71,000 in Pinellas but there is also a difference in opening times for the two cities and their surrounding counties. Miami and Dade County did not open up during the holiday weekend but Tampa and surrounding areas did and the beaches and places were packed with people.  Additionaly, there's another huge consideration to point out. Residents in MD County go back and forth between Broward County for work and all activities. The two counties are more like one giant county than two separate ones. Broward has had many tests too. Broward also did not reopen until after Memorial Day. 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,178
Registered: ‎11-15-2011

Re: Florida Numbers as of June 16

My remarks were not directed at because "she said." 

 

I just stated the facts, not disputing her!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,970
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

Re: Florida Numbers as of June 16


@Hoovermom wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

The county we are moving to has the same numbers as where we are in MD/DC. I asked DH (who is there now) what's going on and he said that area of our home, everyone is in masks and often gloves. However, in Tampa (where he works), no one he has seen is doing anything. Neighbors think that Tampa is seeing higher numbers due to the International Airport that is located there (same with BWI and Dullas in my area) as people fly in and out for the beaches/Disney, etc. Community pools are not opening so unless you have a private pool, no pools. Schools have no plans to open as of now either.


@FiddleDeeDee @One key reason for Tampas's stats is that their beaches were open and packed on a Memorial Day while MD AND BC beaches didn't open until after Memorial Day weekend.


You obviously missed the amount of test almost double during this time.   I have looked at the covid tracking website, and I don't see your reasoning.  


___________________________________________________

 

@Hoovermom, I have not been tracking any data in Florida but just want to point out that public health experts report concern about an increase number of cases when the test positivity rate increases, 7 day averages increase, or there is an associated rise in hospitalization related to covid-19.

 

In other words, it doesn't matter how many more tests are being done.  Those indicators tell publich health experts about viral activity in a certain area regardless if testing is up or down.

 

For example, with the figures that @Mindy D  posted

Hillsborough county: total to date of positive cases = 4,029 with a total of 86,902 total tests performed in Hillsborough county to date.

 

Lee county:  total to date of positive cases = 3,015 with a total of 43,024 total tests performed in Lee county to date.

 

So even though Lee county has fewer cases than Hillsborough county and has also done fewer tests,  viral activity is much more active in Lee county than Hillsoborough county.

 

Test positivity for both counties:

Hillsborough county = 5%

Lee county=7%

 

So no matter how many more tests or even if there are fewer tests, by looking at those numbers, viral activity is more active in Lee county.

 

Just want to dispel the myth that just because they are doing more testing that positive cases will go up.  Well yes, but they look way beyond that to test positivity numbers and other factors to try and determine viral activity in an area.

 

 

 

 


* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,395
Registered: ‎03-06-2020

@Re: Florida Numbers as of June 16

[ Edited ]

@Zhills He's been there a WEEK. I have never been to Florida. Cut me/us some slack, thanks.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,502
Registered: ‎12-16-2013

Re: @Re: Florida Numbers as of June 16

@FiddleDeeDee Best of luck with your upcoming move!  Moving is a major stressor at any time, but I'm sure it's magnified right now because of the pandemic.  Take care!

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,395
Registered: ‎03-06-2020

Re: @Re: Florida Numbers as of June 16

@Linmo Thank you for your kinds words. Smiley Happy

 

it IS stressful for multiple reasons and COVID doesn't help, that's for sure!

"Coming to ya from Florida"