Honored Contributor

Florida Gov. we have no testing kits for COV-19

Florida governor is asking for more testing kits. We have none.

How about your state?

Honored Contributor

Re: Florida Gov. we have no testing kits for COV-19

2/29/2020 maryland update (as far as i know there is no issue with testing kits being available in our state).......via maryland department of health:

COVID-19 Testing and Confirmed Case Counts in Maryland  

Number of patients approved for COVID-19 testing: 5
Number of COVID-19 tests pending at CDC: 3
Number of negative COVID-19 tests: 2

Number of laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 cases: 0 ​
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Mindy DAnswers will be interesting  -  my understanding is that we here in Florida are not alone in having no access to test kits.

Also, I have no solid source but there's a rumor in my neighborhood that there are no good masks anywhere.  I'm not looking right now, but I don't like thinking that there could be none if I change my mind.

Trusted Contributor

Even if they have them they are too expensive. I read that each test costs $3,600, which is too expensive for most people.

Everyone needs to take a chill pill. Panicking is not going to  make this situation better. 

Honored Contributor

NY has created test kits & have now been approved for use by the FDA.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

How about your state?

In FL and this does not surprise me at all

Honored Contributor

Some of the kits sent out  are flawed and are not working properly, so I guess it doesn't matter if kits are available.  

You have to have kits that are reliable.

Honored Contributor

From Washington Post live updates:

Coronavirus test developed by New York state lab approved by FDA

New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said Saturday that the Food and Drug Administration has approved a test for New York state’s health laboratories to use to detect the coronavirus.

Laboratories at hospitals as well as state public health laboratories have struggled in recent weeks to use tests they develop without approval from the FDA.

The U.S. response to covid-19 has been hampered by testing issues. Experts have consequently worried that the small number of U.S. cases may be a reflection of limited testing rather than of the virus’s restricted spread.

Cuomo (D) said he spoke in recent days to Vice President Pence, who heads the White House’s coronavirus response, and urged him to approve the test developed by New York state health officials.

With the approval New York received Saturday, Cuomo said, state officials will begin testing immediately at the Wadsworth laboratory in Albany.

“This approval will expedite wait time and improve New York’s ability to more effectively manage the coronavirus situation as it unfolds,” Cuomo said.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

Even if they have them they are too expensive. I read that each test costs $3,600, which is too expensive for most people.

Everyone needs to take a chill pill. Panicking is not going to  make this situation better. 

It's the only way to monitor COV-19 in a state. This is a crucial step for epidemiologists in tracking disease. This has nothing to due with "most people" or people in panic. It's a strategic step in monitoring the spread within our country and the world.

Honored Contributor

@Warrior2022 wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

How about your state?

In FL and this does not surprise me at all

We had them, but we've used them. The CDC sent states these new kits. It's not just a Florida being deficient in trying to monitor COV-19 thing.