Occasional Contributor

Florida Animal Shelters affected by massive flooding

I don't have all the names of the shelters but Tampa, Live Oak, St. Pete, Lake City, all of Clay County, Jacksonville and others not named need help desperately. TheJacksonville NBC affiliate newscast at 11:00 talked about the flooding and overwhelming number of dogs needing rescue.. Foster homes are needed but also if any shelter in any surrounding state has any room, please contact the shelters. Unfortunately you will have to google the numbers, I don't have them handy at the moment. I thought it was more important to get the message out first. Needs can be from food to foster homes to permanent homes. I will check with them tomorrow for specific needs and report what I learn. I should have known that with such flooding and human problems, the dogs and cats would also suffer. We just don't seem to learn from previous disasters. Why? I don't get it. Let's take one minute to understand one fact - everyday dogs and cats die needlessly from indiscriminate breeding and from not spaying and neutering. Reputable breeders do not want to ever have one of their dogs in a shelter and most require spay and neuter before you actually own the animal. With the pain that many of these posters are feeling with the loss of their own pets, can you not feel their agony? With the dogs and cats, it does not have to be this way. I understand that until we really see the needless deaths most won't act. Now is the time to make the change. Start with the indiscriminate breeder, then the irresponsible owner and one day soon, our shelters will not have to kill as many animals as today and we save probably the only good thing we have after our kids. This is a rant and I am not going to apologize for it. I mean to sound argumentative so that one person thinks about the living creatures that we created many moons ago. If you can't afford a dog or cat, please do not get one. If your character is questionable, I beg you not to get an animal, get help for yourself to learn compassion and love. The animals are much too good for an unloving and uncaring parent. Come on people, we are better than this aren't we?