Trusted Contributor

I cannot WAIT to see this.  Thanks for the scoop.

Respected Contributor

Saw the movie tonight....I think DH didn't enjoy it as much as I did, I think Streep is excellent in the role but It wasn't as funny as I thought or hoped it would be.

Honored Contributor

@Azcowgirl wrote:

Saw the movie tonight....I think DH didn't enjoy it as much as I did, I think Streep is excellent in the role but It wasn't as funny as I thought or hoped it would be.

Interesting comment. As I read it, I thought of "One FlewOver the Cuckoo's Nest".

Some funny events but overall, dark subject matter.

As something of a student of the FFJ story, I think Streep could have done better in emulating the ravaged vocal style.

FFJ didn't just sing "wrong" or "off key" or "unpleasanly". She actually has a fairly imitatable vocal pattern, whichfor whatever reason, Streep didn't choose to attempt it. It might have been less funny but more interesting f she had.

Honored Contributor

Wow...four people in the theatre?   I'm surprised there were that many.  You couldn't pay me to see it and it does not look funny in the previews.  I agree the cast is excellent but the subject matter is odd to say the least. 

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Wow...four people in the theatre?   I'm surprised there were that many.  You couldn't pay me to see it and it does not look funny in the previews.  I agree the cast is excellent but the subject matter is odd to say the least. 

I saw it today and the theater was about 2/3 full. 

LOVED it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Florence Foster Jenkins

[ Edited ]

@violann wrote:

Interesting comment. As I read it, I thought of "One FlewOver the Cuckoo's Nest".

As something of a student of the FFJ story, I think Streep could have done better in emulating the ravaged vocal style.

FFJ didn't just sing "wrong" or "off key" or "unpleasanly". She actually has a fairly imitatable vocal pattern, whichfor whatever reason, Streep didn't choose to attempt it. It might have been less funny but more interesting f she had.

Meryl Streep and I grew up in the same area.  She went to the public school and I went to Catholic school.  Our social groups often times intermixed.  She starred in her school's musicals.  Her talent was not your typical high school star. She had a beautiful voice.  There was also something about her "look."  She was one of those girls who could pass for 25 when she was 15.

Our paths have crossed a few times (charity events) since she's become a star. She actually remembered us, and commented on the fact we married. (we were high school sweethearts)

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Wow

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@violann wrote:

Meryl Streep and I grew up in the same area.  She went to the public school and I went to Catholic school.  Our social groups often times intermixed.  She starred in her school's musicals.  Her talent was not your typical high school star. She had a beautiful voice.  There was also something about her "look."  She was one of those girls who could pass for 25 when she was 15.

Our paths have crossed a few times (charity events) since she's become a star. She actually remembered us, and commented on the fact we married. (we were high school sweethearts)

@lulu2  I highly recommend her biography to you, called Her Again  (a reference to all her Oscar nominations).   It's about her growing up, high school and college days mostly and ends after she made Kramer v. Kramer.   But it's mostly about her younger day, and I'm sure you will relate to a lot of it!   You may even be mentioned; there are a lot of her friends who are mentioned!    I finished it about a month ago and realy enjoyed it, esp. the photos in the middle of the book.  You'll remember how she looked back then (pretty much the same!)