Trusted Contributor

Re: Flooding here -- drought there Oy yoy yoy!

California could get water from the ocean through a water processing treatment for salt water.  Jerry Brown and ect. would not approve.

Some people have purchased the system but the State of California did not.  Why .... ???

Maybe someone from California will fill us in.

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@cherry wrote:

This is Off topic, but your oy yoy yoy made me smile. My Grammy used to say that. and I have never heard anyone else do it

By any chance did your Grammy come from the Wilkes Barre, Pa. area?  All of my Gram's family used to say that--a lot. lol.

My Babci (great grandmother) from Philly used to say it too.

Honored Contributor

You have no idea what so ever where I am.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@cherry wrote:

This is Off topic, but your oy yoy yoy made me smile. My Grammy used to say that. and I have never heard anyone else do it

By any chance did your Grammy come from the Wilkes Barre, Pa. area?  All of my Gram's family used to say that--a lot. lol.

My Babci (great grandmother) from Philly used to say it too.

No but she was raised in Ohio and In, so it's right next door

Honored Contributor

I miss the rain so much.  I remember winters with rain, and springs with rain day after day for almost a week.

I am in California and we all miss the rain.  However, no one wants the extremes...drought or flooding.

My neighboorhood looks like a dump!  Once nice yards are piles of dry, crisp weeds, or mowed dead lawn.  We have the only green lawn on the block.  We water by resricted rules. I think most who have no lawns now have a pool they are trying to tend, but many are just those who never liked to do yards, and the drought is an excuse to not do anything.  I am sick about it.

One year in the mid 1990's it stormed everyday for the whole month of January, then at least 3 days a week until May.  Were we ever sick of the rain, flooding, and inconvenience.  Man, did we ever have mosquitos that summer!

Honored Contributor

I also wonder how this nation was able to afford to build all its infrastructures over a hundred years ago and why now seemly can't afford to upgrade them or replace them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, unfortunately they come up for a Proposition vote (I lived in California all my life until 4 years ago)..... and the voters vote down new infrastructures and new reserviors ALL THE TIME.  It's rare they get voted through.... so...  there you are.  The will of the people.

BTW, my family and I were "caught" in two of the worst fires ever seen in a populated area.  One in 2003 (we were packed and ready for evacuation.... luckily we didn't have to.  The second one was in 2007 and we evacuated because we were surrounded by fire on three sides.  We had to spend the night down at the Stadium.  We were spared.... but much of San Diego wasn't.  We lived in Poway (next to Rancho Bernardo) but this particular fire went all the way to the coast in Encinitas taking out homes everywhere.....

I hear that fire season has started early this year.  Woman Frustrated  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

Yep, I'm in Texas and just north of the community that lost 326 homes to flooding on Memorial Day and some people are still missing and presumed dead. My parents are in California. They ask about the flooding and even though it rained here every single day last month and many of this month, I try very hard not to complain about any of it because I know how bad their drought is and how many years of drought we've battled here.

Every day I pass an empty lot and it has 12 sprinklers that run several times a week, even all last month when we were flooding. It rained most of Tuesday and Wednesday morning I drove by the lot and all the sprinklers were on again and the lot was flooded and water was running into the street. I called and reported them to the water conservation team. Yeah, it has rained a lot in the last 6 weeks, but we've had multiple years of drought and water restrictions and the lake is still 11 feet below full. I still turn off my shower water when I'm washing my hair and my body and only turn it on to rinse and get wet.6 weeks of rain isn't going to end a 6 year drought for long.

ChynnaBlue,

I just returned from helping with animals from shelters in TX that have been flooded.  If you are so inclined, please pass the word in your area that help is needed.  Hope this is not against the rules.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

We've had a ton of rain so far this June. I saw the NWS graph we are in the bullseye for more this weekend. My garden looks horrible and my neighbor's yard still has standing water.

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@151949 wrote:

On the news right now they are saying there is going to be 2 to 3 inches of rain over this weekend. It has rained every day for weeks and the ground is saturated so this is almost definitely going to cause flash floods. On the other hand poor Calif. is in a dire drought situation. I find it hard to comprehend they can pump oil and gas all over the country but can't get this water across the country to the drought areas.

I bolded your last sentence, because this makes me scratch my head.  I too wonder why not?   I also wonder how this nation was able to afford to build all its infrastructures over a hundred years ago and why now seemly can't afford to upgrade them or replace them.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

of course, they could have dealt with our drought issues last year, the year before, the year before that........but did not.  we are not well served by our pols here in Cali.