Honored Contributor

Flooding here -- drought there Oy yoy yoy!

On the news right now they are saying there is going to be 2 to 3 inches of rain over this weekend. It has rained every day for weeks and the ground is saturated so this is almost definitely going to cause flash floods. On the other hand poor Calif. is in a dire drought situation. I find it hard to comprehend they can pump oil and gas all over the country but can't get this water across the country to the drought areas.

Honored Contributor

Re: Flooding here -- drought there Oy yoy yoy!

This is Off topic, but your oy yoy yoy made me smile. My Grammy used to say that. and I have never heard anyone else do it

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

This is Off topic, but your oy yoy yoy made me smile. My Grammy used to say that. and I have never heard anyone else do it

My DH laughs at me saying that and  Holy mackeral Andy!

Respected Contributor

My brother's family still lives in California, so I know about that drought. It is pretty bad

I am getting a little rain tonight and some over the weekend.   My mom is getting some thunderstorms in her area this weekend, so it will probably come on over to the east coast a few days later, and my area will get it...

No flooding, though.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor

@biancardi wrote:

My brother's family still lives in California, so I know about that drought. It is pretty bad

I am getting a little rain tonight and some over the weekend.   My mom is getting some thunderstorms in her area this weekend, so it will probably come on over to the east coast a few days later, and my area will get it...

No flooding, though.

B, all we have, had is, rain

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

By any chance did your Grammy come from the Wilkes Barre, Pa. area?  All of my Gram's family used to say that--a lot. lol.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

No flooding, though.

B, all we have, had is, rain

hi cherry - yeah, my mom told me the other day that it was raining all the time out there - for whatever reason, it really hasn't hit us over here that much.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor

Yep, I'm in Texas and just north of the community that lost 326 homes to flooding on Memorial Day and some people are still missing and presumed dead. My parents are in California. They ask about the flooding and even though it rained here every single day last month and many of this month, I try very hard not to complain about any of it because I know how bad their drought is and how many years of drought we've battled here.

Every day I pass an empty lot and it has 12 sprinklers that run several times a week, even all last month when we were flooding. It rained most of Tuesday and Wednesday morning I drove by the lot and all the sprinklers were on again and the lot was flooded and water was running into the street. I called and reported them to the water conservation team. Yeah, it has rained a lot in the last 6 weeks, but we've had multiple years of drought and water restrictions and the lake is still 11 feet below full. I still turn off my shower water when I'm washing my hair and my body and only turn it on to rinse and get wet.6 weeks of rain isn't going to end a 6 year drought for long.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

On the news right now they are saying there is going to be 2 to 3 inches of rain over this weekend. It has rained every day for weeks and the ground is saturated so this is almost definitely going to cause flash floods. On the other hand poor Calif. is in a dire drought situation. I find it hard to comprehend they can pump oil and gas all over the country but can't get this water across the country to the drought areas.

I'm 2+ hours from you and my lawn is brown from LACK of rain!   Just send it over here!

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I bolded your last sentence, because this makes me scratch my head.  I too wonder why not?   I also wonder how this nation was able to afford to build all its infrastructures over a hundred years ago and why now seemly can't afford to upgrade them or replace them.