Esteemed Contributor

Re: Flood Victims in Louisiana

@Imadickens

My Dad, who was in WW II, too.  And, agree, I would never donate to Red Cross but applaud all who donate.

I also remember there were problems with the Red Cross re collections and use thereof I think re 9/11, if I correctly recall.  But, there's also Catholic Charities and various church/civic groups that will, hopefully, set-up a donating process.

Honored Contributor

Why ????    Because QVC shoppers don't know how to donate unless we have have QVC link....lol    I'm pretty sure anyone who wishes to donate can figure it out.

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@Imadickens

My Dad, who was in WW II, too.  And, agree, I would never donate to Red Cross but applaud all who donate.

I also remember there were problems with the Red Cross re collections and use thereof I think re 9/11, if I correctly recall.  But, there's also Catholic Charities and various church/civic groups that will, hopefully, set-up a donating process.

I'm not trying to get "political" but do I remember years ago there was a box on our tax returns we could check off if we wanted to donated a dollar of our tax money to the disaster of the year? I'm with you, I hope we are flooded with donation sites! (Pun intended!)😉

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Esteemed Contributor

Go out to NOLA dot com for ways to give specific, local assistance including assisting shelters. Sorry, didn't want to post a link.

When you give to the Red Cross, it goes to their general fund, not to any one specific disaster or cause.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never heard of a WW ll soldier, sailor airman, marine dissing the Red Cross before.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Why ????    Because QVC shoppers don't know how to donate unless we have have QVC link....lol    I'm pretty sure anyone who wishes to donate can figure it out.

Thank you.  I don't need prompting from QVC for donations to the cause du jour.

Honored Contributor

The SPCA has a strong presence there too.

If you visit greatergood(dot)com they are donating their clicks to the SPCA.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

It is unfortunate, but we will need to steel ourselves for more of these events.  Those of us who will likely live another 40 years will experience coastal areas under water.  Low lying areas will become wetlands and eventually under water as well.  I follow several Mayors on FB and those in coastal areas are focused on flood control.  One was in the Netherlands to learn about their system to control rising waters. We need to get with the program and put some priority on this.  It's science, it's been predicted and it's happening now.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Esteemed Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I can not believe that most people did not have flood insurance living in a flood zone? Especially after the last  bout with flooding. 

my understanding is that this area has not been a flood zone before.  it was a natural disaster due to unbelievable rain.

@ms traditional @SeaMaiden

That's correct. This was a first for most of these folks. We were watching on the local news a family whose ancestor built their house in the late 1800s - they had never flooded before.   Twenty inches of rain fell and caused rivers to overflow. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

It is unfortunate, but we will need to steel ourselves for more of these events.  Those of us who will likely live another 40 years will experience coastal areas under water.  Low lying areas will become wetlands and eventually under water as well.  I follow several Mayors on FB and those in coastal areas are focused on flood control.  One was in the Netherlands to learn about their system to control rising waters. We need to get with the program and put some priority on this.  It's science, it's been predicted and it's happening now.

@Maudelynn  This was not coastal flooding; it was river flooding. Down here in the New Orleans area we deal with coastal flooding, but this was further north and west of us. Twenty inches of rain = rivers overflowing. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett