Respected Contributor

Fissure Filled Rubies?

[ Edited ]

I wonder why QVC doesn't specify if their rubies are fissure filled.  Other shopping channels almost always include this info.  It isn't because QVC doesn't sell them.  I called Customer Service and they asked me to specify which ruby ring I was talking about so she could check it out for me. . .

Honored Contributor

@fortune

Did you ever find out?  Most anyone purchasing a ruby, or any other stone, would want to know.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Chuck Clemency has been selling a lot of rubies and I haven't heard him mention it.  I've also bought them from Michael Vallatuti and didn't hear him mention it either, 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

You can add composite turqoise from the 'rock hound' Jay King.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know about lately because I get no jewelry from here anymore but if they aren't telling you things like that, there is a reason why. I find most of their gemstones to be subpar.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Assume all stones are treated unless it specifically states that they are "natural and untreated". Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Jay King always says on HSN that his stones are NOT treated at all in any way.

Of course the have weird names and are big and I don't care for them, but he says they aren't treated.

Honored Contributor

Re: Fissure Filled Rubies?

[ Edited ]

Most rubies available at anywhere near an affordable price, and emeralds as well, are treated up the wazoo in one way or another, cracks filled and/or heat treated and a couple of lesser known treatments as well.

I wouldn't consider any rubies or emeralds, or most sapphires sold on QVC, HSN or JTV as valuable, and even the best of them are largely opaque in larger stones. The colors and quality of emeralds on these shows blow me away that anyone would want those pale, inclusion-packed stones. 

Anything I would want to wear, ruby-wise, would be close to tens of thousands - so, ain't gonna happen unless I start buying those Lotto tickets.

This is a 1 ct loose stone for $5000; it's the kind of color and clarity I'd want.

IMG_0727.JPG

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Irshgrl31201 wrote: I don't know about lately because I get no jewelry from here anymore but if they aren't telling you things like that, there is a reason why. I find most of their gemstones to be subpar.  

To expound on that valid point, you can be sure they would shout it from the rafters if their stones were untreated and clean.  It would be a major selling point.   

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

While I was googling Ruby treatments, a jewelry/gem auction page discussing treatment said that less than 1% of rubies that make it to marked are untreated in any way. So for all intents and purposes, none of us will probably ever even see one.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all