Honored Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Inexcusable.

Respected Contributor

butterfly123...

I heard about this maybe a year ago...

In fact, where I live they sent undercover news people reporting on this story, to several local resturants.  It was alarming, what they found.  The resturants were called out by name too.  In some situations, the consumer was paying 50% more for a lesser quality fish.

Honored Contributor

I never eat fish out now because I figure it comes from Asia.  Well, if I am on the coast I get fish from restaurants I feel comfortable are serving local fish.  I alone probably depleat our supply of shrimp every year. . . LOL!!! I only buy USA caught and processed fish and shrimp.  For many reasons, health being number one! 

Honored Contributor

Living coastal we hear news reports on this all the time, and about efforts to make it increasingly illegal.

It's always the same old, same old: not enough money to hire the amount of inspectors needed.

A local report last night said whatever we think we are buying, it's usually catfish Woman Surprised

Esteemed Contributor

I really don't care for any kind of fish...now, I'm definitely NOT going to order it. I didn't realize there was so much fraud of this type taking place.

Trusted Contributor

This is old news, but thanks for posting the article as many people may have been unaware.

I do not eat seafood, so this is not a major concern for me; however, I will cook it for people, so I try to buy from a reputable source.  When I lived on the coast, we could buy directly from the fishing boats, and that is still the best way to do it for those lucky enough to have access.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner You sound like me.    I've been comitted to making shrimp an endangered species now for years!

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@Sooner You sound like me.    I've been committed to making shrimp an endangered species now for years!

Fried, boiled, sauteed, scalloped, grilled, pickled. . . where does it end?  JAMBALAYA!  Shrimp etouffee? Shrimp and Grits?  MY ON MY!!!  Fried so crispy you can eat the tail. . . !!!!!

Honored Contributor

@SoonerI think even some of the fish we buy at the markets and take home to cook is "misnamed."

And I do eat fish out because it's one of the easiest meals to control the fat the chefs use.  I just try not to pay for specialty fish.  I didn't read the article OP offered (no links here ever again) but the essence of the story is undoubtedly the same as has been around for several years.  The last article I read myself concerned Chilean sea bass -- NOT!