Honored Contributor

Only Freshman are there.  Feels strange to see very few students.  Most employees are still online (along with the other students)  This will stay that way till after Thanksgiving break.  Then the school will shut down again.  Normally we have mini winter semester in January.  But I doubt it will be at campus.  I Still down't know about Spring Semester.  That normally starts in February. Only a few food places are open (sadly no Einstein Bagels or Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, etc)  Everyone on campus has to be authorize to be there. You show your ID everywhere.  I still have have to monitor my temp, vital signs etc.  and write it down. Everyone is in masks, etc.  Sanitizer everywhere, even on the school shuttles.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: First day back at school

I feel so sorry for the little kids - K-6.  Trying to understand this mess & have been primed by parents to start school, like school and met new friends.  When I was that age we had fearful events happening - might need bomb shelters - Russians coming for us and other issues............which I remember very well.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

I feel so sorry for the little kids - K-6.  Trying to understand this mess & have been primed by parents to start school, like school and met new friends.  When I was that age we had fearful events happening - might need bomb shelters - Russians coming for us and other issues............which I remember very well.

I've read some kids have gotten but most of the time, the symptoms are mild.  At least in Georgia and other Southern schools that start early. I don't know if any have died.  If they had, you would have heard holy heck. Kids spread anything. I have this feeling that the virus has lost it's punch even though each day more adults have died. After labor day, most K-through High school will start.  I still think they should be online, especially the middle to  high schools.  Good training if they want to go online at universities.  I took several classes online and did fine with it. Total U.S.death toll must be over 160,000 by now...

Honored Contributor

@songbird   Stay safe!  Sounds like it's all been handled very well.  

Respected Contributor

Sounds well managed. Best of luck to you.

Honored Contributor

@songbird The majority of the young victims do come through fairly easily -   but if they are kids who live in crowded homes with adults who have any health issues, the kids do still spread fatal disease.   Schools also have an adult component; just this morning on our local news, 3 school districts reported infected staff ---  and those schools are just in the preparatory phase. no kids yet.

As for the count -  right now at about half a year into Covid, the nation has about 3 times the average annual number of deaths from an ordinary flu season.

I'm hoping the schools and colleges in NY manage to stay open with only a slight uptick in positive cases.  We've been under 1% for about 3 weeks now, so a small uptick would be manageable.  I'd rather see it come from opening schools rather than some other kinds of businesses. 

Trusted Contributor

I hope it goes well for you and you stay safe.

What's been going in in colleges throughout the country is terrible with so many covid cases and I heard some of the colleges have sent those infected students home which was the wrong thing to do.  They should have remained sequestered at their colleges.  Instead they will now bring infection home to their respective states.

Our city's public schools were all set to open on time after Labor Day but due to pressure from the principals, teachers, and other employee unions, the opening has been delayed until 9/21 to allow more time to work out safety details.  

It was suggested by a local official that only elementary school age children attend classes in person and older children continue remote learning for the semester.  That seems like the more responsible way to go but it isn't happening.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

My grands who live in Westchester County NY are starting virtual school on 9/10 then will go to in school learning on or about 9/21. The oldest is going into 3rd grade and her twin sisters are going into K.

They will go 2 days per week then have off the rest of the week for virtual learning. The school will be cleaned on Wed. and other children will go Thurs/Fri.

Don't know how my daughter is going to manage their 3 days off as she works full time and is in court some days for 7 hours. Going to be hard for her and she gets very little help from her ex. He likes to be the "fun" parent. Right.

Valued Contributor

I'm from that generation, too. Remember the school drills in the classrooms where you had to crawl under your desk in case a nuclear attack happened? Also, we were advised to have a small suitcase ready with living essentials, in case we had to leave in a hurry. That was 1950's California.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

I've read some kids have gotten but most of the time, the symptoms are mild.  At least in Georgia and other Southern schools that start early. I don't know if any have died.  If they had, you would have heard holy heck. Kids spread anything. I have this feeling that the virus has lost it's punch even though each day more adults have died. After labor day, most K-through High school will start.  I still think they should be online, especially the middle to  high schools.  Good training if they want to go online at universities.  I took several classes online and did fine with it. Total U.S.death toll must be over 160,000 by now...

I feel just the opposite, @songbird, In general, middle school and high school kids are better equiped to deal with virtual learning. Of course, it's not ideal. But little ones? Their needs are much better met in school if it is safe. Plus, the older the child, the more likely he or she can contract the virus, according to some studies.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland