Respected Contributor

Re: First US vaccines to be delivered to the US on December 15

Just read a newspaper story about cyber attacks on the cold chain.

The fun never stops.

Esteemed Contributor

New York State has said that top priority will be nursing home staff and residents. 

This State's initial vaccine allocation will cover only about 1.5% of the population. As others have said, the target goal of a 75%-80% vaccinated population will take many, many months.  

Honored Contributor

Three former presidents -- Bush, Clinton, Obama -- have volunteered to get the vaccine to boost confidence in all of us.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Three former presidents -- Bush, Clinton, Obama -- have volunteered to get the vaccine to boost confidence in all of us.

Other good news is that Dr. Fauci has been asked to stay on in his position at the NIH, and the controversial Dr. Atlas has quit. Woman Very Happy

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Contributor

Three different drug manufacturers ... your state determines which one you will get.  Keep your fingers crossed for the best one!    Not all are 100% effective so a mask will be part of the protocol for aid in prevention. 

Esteemed Contributor

None are proved to be 100% effective. 

Respected Contributor

@BoGo7 wrote:

Three different drug manufacturers ... your state determines which one you will get.  Keep your fingers crossed for the best one!    Not all are 100% effective so a mask will be part of the protocol for aid in prevention. 

Has any one of them been approved yet?

I don't understand why everyone is discussing this as if they're already approved. They might not be, or there could be conditions. It's not a given that any of them will get the green light.

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

None are proved to be 100% effective. 

Duration of protection is another uncertainty.

Esteemed Contributor

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

We will be given a card ,that will have when we need the next injection,i read this morning.

That's good, but will the vaccine be available when we need the second dose?

It was impossible for me to get the 2nd Shingix shot within the timeframe required because none of the drugstores had it.

@Eager2Learn 

From what I heard on tv and read, a state will divide the number of doses it receives by 2 and administer that many "first shots."  Then the other half will be used for the second shot.  That doesn't guarantee that states will get enough shots for everyone in the first shipment, just that everyone who does get the first shot will be able get a second shot.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Super Contributor

I believe Covid will be here for a long time. I don't believe they will reach the numbers needed to contain it. Still too much uncertainty.