Esteemed Contributor

First College Scandal Parent to Grant Interview

The New York Post has an interview with Upper East Side parent Gregory Abbott who, along with his wife, were each sentenced to 1 month in jail (location to be determined) for having their daughter's  ACT and SAT scores altered.  

Some of his comments echo remarks and views expressed here: he maintains that there were no victims and although he admits he was wrong, wished that he had received probation.  However, his insistence that he really hurt no one may anger others.

Here are some excerpts.  I like his concise descriptions of Felicity and Lori.

“Why are these people out for blood?” Manhattan businessman Greg Abbott asked of critics of himself and the slew of other deep-pocketed parents who shelled out thousands of dollars in bribes to try to get their already privileged kids into top universities.

“There are no victims,’’ he insisted of the crime, which involves charges including fraud.

“Throwing us in jail for a month is going to change things for minorities?” Abbott asked, referring to assertions that the scheme kept more worthy students from getting into top schools, including those from less privileged backgrounds.

“Who benefits?’’ he said. “Is the United States of America benefiting from the shock and awe of arresting 33 parents who did something wrong?”

Abbott called Huffman the picture of “grace’’ through her case, while Loughlin was “tone deaf’’ for signing autographs outside one of her Boston court hearings.

Respected Contributor

Re: First College Scandal Parent to Grant Interview

[ Edited ]

And he is accusing Loughlin of being tone deaf. What does he think he is being gracious and humble?  He should keep his mouth shut  and do his one month. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What stands out with these folks (all who have been accused and those found guilty so far) is the level of arrogance they show. They are not sorry for what they did, they are simply sorry they were caught. The fact that they claim, (and do so with complete honesty on their part), that there were NO victims shows that they live in a world the vast majority can only imagine.

Disgusting.

Edited to add more to my first sentence.

Contributor

He doesn't get it and never will

Honored Contributor

His attitude just illustrates the problem, people not taking responsibility for their actions. My parents always taught me that actions have consequences, and believe me my actions always did. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager There most certainly are victims.  They are the students who went by the books, did not cheat and my have lost their places because of people like this man.  It proves how insensitive he is and how money talks.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Whoever this knucklehead is, he is missing a few brain cells. No victims?  Every punishable crime has a victim, or plural. I won't get into the "who serves what" for their crimes. I Will say only "justice should be meted out equally, irrespective of one's perceived, or real,status"!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This comment seems pretty tone deaf!

Abbott said that after he serves his four weeks behind bars — in a prison yet to be determined — he plans to take a vacation.

“I’m going to Disneyland,” he said.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager @hckynut @tobes @QVCkitty1 @DesertPony 

Seriously!🤦🏼‍♀️

Do these people not have any concept of right and wrong?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sadly this is what money does to some people.  It alters their view of life to the point they become blind to the more important things of life....such as ..... integrity, honesty, moral obligation, and so on and so forth. Maybe someone should look into his pockets more deeply.  Who knows what lingers there????