Honored Contributor

Re: Fireworks at the Back Fence

Hello all - it's muggy and overcast here today. I think it's supposed to be in the upper 80's today and then nicer temps and no humidity should be the words of the day for the rest of the week.

Do any of you ladies know about walnut trees? I have one in my back yard that was there when we bought this house. We bought the house in the fall of 2001, no nuts off the tree. I honestly don't know the proper words for it - I would say bearing fruit but it's a nut (like me {#emotions_dlg.blink}). It 'nutted' in 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008 and 2010. Since 2010 it's 'nutted' every year. I get bumper crops - talking at least 1,000 every fall now. It's dropping some smaller nuts right now.

I'm wondering what could have happened to make this thing nut every year. It was easier on my back when it 'nutted' every other year.

Any ideas?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

My wife just told me last night that about a friend of hers at work. Guess her boyfriend got careless with some major fireworks and it completely took off one of his hands. From my doctor friends that work the ER they tell me they see all kinds of nasty things happen from fireworks and mostly with adults.

Ain't worth fooling with just to hear a big BANG or see a bunch of lights. About the time one thinks they know what they are doing they find out that they didn't know enough. Like handguns a person always has to make sure they are unloaded regardless of what someone told you or even if you were the last one to use it. First thing is to always check before doing anything else.

This man now will live the rest of his life missing one hand and all for?

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

John, it's so nice to see you at the BF. It's not only the big fireworks that can change your loft. Those sparklers can be lethal. Bad burns, fire damage and eye poking. I will say I remember using them as a kid but parents were hovering. As I get older the noise of the fireworks bother me more. If I think about it a lot of things bother me more as I get older. Lol. John, Toro is celebrating 100 years this week. Hubby on his way to Minnesota to join in the fun. He is the only salesman to ever have won all rewards from rookie to master at toro
Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone. John,nice to see you hear. How awful. people have no idea how dangerous these things are. wish they were I'll legal here. I am feeling much better. But the heat is on!!!!!! was so hot today I decided not to go to the pool,LOL!!!!!! Just too much heat on all that cement for me. did go to the Drs, and grocery store for a few items. We are getting estimates to have our back deck re done,enlarged and screened it. Wow, was surprised at the costs, but I think it will be worth it. It gets the afternoon sun so it's too hot to use it then, and it's nice in our backyard at night,except for the bugs. so, we are looking forward to getting some nice furniture and also eating out there. we are going to have a ceiling fan put in also. The last few weeks it looks like someone strung lights in the trees. there are sooooo many lightening bugs. it's just lovely at night out there. we had a quiet 4th, and not many firecrackers,etc. this year. guess maybe people are starting to realize how dangerous they are,plus they scare the animals to death. nice to see everyone here.Stay cool all....
Honored Contributor

Read in today's newspaper that a man in San Diego lost both of his arms and another lost the fingers on one hand and the finger tips on the other.

The fireworks industry must have the world's most influential lobby. As bad as the drought is in the Southwest the governor does not have the power to ban fireworks state-wide. They were popping them off like crazy in my neighborhood, big ones too. Our city does a professional display so it's not like the people don't get to see them. Thankfully my dogs couldn't care less.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Here is a story about a Michigan man who died when a firework hit him in the chest - he was young (40's) with children.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/detroit-man-killed-by-firework-blast-to-chest/26807616

The chief meteorologist for a local news station lost his left eye because of a freak accident at a fireworks display. He will be having surgery this week and will be fitted with a prosthetic eye and should return to the air in September.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140707/ENT03/307070077/wxyz-dave-rexroth-fireworks-meteorologist

Respected Contributor

John, let me join in and say how great it is to see you here. Those firecrackers can be so dangerous. I thank goodness they are not allowed where I live in Sou Cal but that does not mean some don't get a hold of them some way and set them off - actually very tame this year and I was so grateful. They also terrify animals and so many run away. Remember a few years back when they were being set off constantly the marvelous dog - Sarah - across the street was trying to chew the fence to get out and she was tearing herself up trying to get out. Thank goodness I had her "Daddy's phone number and he came home and put her inside the house and stayed with her - this was during daytime and not at night. That poor dog - she has crossed the Rainbow Bridge since then but it was a horrible thing to witness. My marvelous cocker - Bailey - who I lost two years ago - was also terrified of the noises. Also thunder and I had to hold him.

Have my great grand Davy here - am hauling him to the dentist in Banning tomorrow. I would not let his friend come with him this time - last time they did nothing but make messes and ate me out of house and home and must have drank several dozen of sodas and teas. Was not happy with them. Am proud of him as he has been perfect and super polite - am proud of him. He has been staying with his Dad and his Dad would not let him pull stuff his Mom does - real dumb of her but she lets him do what he wants and then screams at him - so very wrong.

Hope all had a great day - sure wish it would cool but unfortunately as hot and humid as it is, the worse is still to come. Sigh

Honored Contributor

I'm stopping by to drop off some watermelon.

Regular Contributor

Greetings all. Welcome to mewsmomtoo, John and kachina. We enjoy visitors and invite you to come as often as you like.

Bird mama, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I know it must have been heartbreaking, but what a wonderful life you gave this little guy. Thank you for your kindness to the helpless. Also thanks for the lovely watermelon and flowers........are they made from watermelon too?

We had delicious cold sweet cantaloupe for supper tonight along with stuffed bell peppers and fresh corn on the cob. Twas so good{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

The Dish tech was here yesterday and brought us a new receiver and when the old one was disconnected I lost all of my recordings and I was really not happy about that, but guess I'll live. That's the second time that's happened to me and there should be some way for that info to be transferred so say I who am totally ignorant of electronic gadgetry.

Betty that's quite an accomplishment for Merle. Is he attending for yet another award? What kind of equipment did they have 100 years ago? Bet they have an interesting museum.

Freddie, don't blame you for not wanting Davy's buddy with him. Two kids can find way too much to get into. Are the bees still 'buzzin around your place?

Epi, glad you're able to be up and around and sounds as though there's quite an improvement healthwise. Have you heard from Sherron? She has not posted in quite a while. If you hear from her would you tell her she's missed?

And has anyone heard from meuw? She has not posted here in months and seems she was not well the last time we heard from her. meuw, if you're reading this, please let us know you're OK.

We had visitors here today and there were two little kids and the little girl who is 4ish apparently thought it would be fun to scoot a little stuffed animal on the floor as I was walking to the kitchen and it hit my foot and I nearly fell. The adults did not see it and I didn't say anything, but I was not happy about it. I'm so unsteady on my feet anyway and I'm trying real hard to avoid a hip surgery that may be required whether I want it or not, but I did not want it due to an unnecessary fall.

I'm leaving some fresh cherries that are so good and juicy and sweet. They're the reddish, yellow variety. I'm sure they have a name, but I no it not and really don't care as I just eats 'em{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Happy early Saturday morning all. Have a nice week end. Sue

Honored Contributor

The flowers are made of red and yellow watermelon. Was news to me that watermelon came in any other colors. I'm not a fruitie (fruit version of a foodie).