Trusted Contributor

My DH and I attended a lovely Fireworks celebration presented a a local Botanical Garden. it is always professionally done with accompanying music and water fountain display.  We thoroughly enjoy these events. Previous to the display, announcements come on reminding the guests to not stand during the displays as it will block the view of those in back of you. Until last evening I have not witnessed anyone not obey this common sense rule. To my side was a couple, who during the few minutes before the displays, were discussing the optimum position for viewing and she complained repeatedly that she would not be able to witness everything from this vantage point. I must digress and point out there are seats on the area below the massive deck for a different vantage point and then the deck areas. She decided to stand. Granted she was not in front of me, however, the people behind her asked her to sit down. She did briefly and then stood back up. She made a statement the people behind her moved. Her SO said nothing to her. My conclusion was that some think they are so special they never follow what is ordinary courtesy. This does lend credence to those that use cell phones loudly in public places, do not obey traffic rules. Is this the result of the educational push for two decades or so of the self esteem conditioning? Or something deep inside those that maximize themselves while minimizing others?

Honored Contributor

Re: Fireworks Shenanigans

[ Edited ]

I’m sure way back in the Dinosaur Age, there was a caveman family

who had 2 caveman kids....the little caveman girl wanted

3 sticks instead of 2 and the caveman Mom continually

complained to caveman Dad to find a better cave even it meant

kicking out the new caveman couple of their cave with a view.

Moral of the story:

To complain & push the moral/polite envelope?

It’s just Human 101.

Been doing it since the beginning of Dawn. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

My DH and I attended a lovely Fireworks celebration presented a a local Botanical Garden. it is always professionally done with accompanying music and water fountain display.  We thoroughly enjoy these events. Previous to the display, announcements come on reminding the guests to not stand during the displays as it will block the view of those in back of you. Until last evening I have not witnessed anyone not obey this common sense rule. To my side was a couple, who during the few minutes before the displays, were discussing the optimum position for viewing and she complained repeatedly that she would not be able to witness everything from this vantage point. I must digress and point out there are seats on the area below the massive deck for a different vantage point and then the deck areas. She decided to stand. Granted she was not in front of me, however, the people behind her asked her to sit down. She did briefly and then stood back up. She made a statement the people behind her moved. Her SO said nothing to her. My conclusion was that some think they are so special they never follow what is ordinary courtesy. This does lend credence to those that use cell phones loudly in public places, do not obey traffic rules. Is this the result of the educational push for two decades or so of the self esteem conditioning? Or something deep inside those that maximize themselves while minimizing others?

It was one rude person.  Inconsiderate people have existed for centuries.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

@Deanie  Don't you sometimes wish there would be usher type people walking through to tell people like her to  sit down or leave.  I sure a round of applause would be forthcoming.

Honored Contributor

People do this kind of thing because others around them let them get away with it.

The first person to ask her to sit down did the right thing, Then when she stood again, another person should have spoken up, then another, then another. 

When people push the envelope, they are counting on the fact that the mealy mouthed of the world will let them do it. Until others stand up (and it doesn't have to be rudely or in violence) and together, rude and selfish people are going to continue to get their way, while the rest of us are inconvenienced, and walked upon. 

The only way to stop this kind of thing is to speak up.

Esteemed Contributor

Same type of rudeness at the movie theatre. In spite of the on-screen request they show before the feature film asking you to turn off your cell phones 99% of the time there will be one or two who during the movie just can't resist checking theirs out and it lights up just enough to break your concentration on the film.

Honored Contributor

Some people are just selfish, it's just part of human nature.  

Trusted Contributor

Yes it is my number three Maxim, there is nothing new under the sun.