Respected Contributor

A complete disregard for the welfare of the people of an entire country in the name of greed. For those interested in learning more about Firestone's role in one of the most horrific civil wars in Africa:

The untold story of Firestone, the Warlord Charles Taylor and the tragedy of Liberia.

http://stories.frontline.org/firestone

"PBS’s “Frontline” aired a 90-minute documentary on a profoundly chilling topic: the complicity of the American tire company Firestone in the regime of Liberian warlord Charles Taylor. That might mean very little to you, or a great deal. It’s a topic that deserves the full 90 minutes, if only because the producers have been so thorough: Firestone officials made a devil’s deal with Taylor, knowing full well the atrocities he had committed and was continuing to inflict on the country, so that the corporation could continue to harvest rubber from its plantation in Harbel, Liberia…"

The Frontline video:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/firestone-and-the-warlord/

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

Re: Firestone and the Warlord

No one is interested in this story?

wow

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

Good morning, Gato. I saw this documentary last night. Disturbing, sickening, to say the least. It touches on so many issues, I wouldn't know where to begin to list them all. I came away wondering about corporate colonialism, personal responsibility of the individuals involved, the eerie ease with which concern for human life and dignity is replaced with attempts to rationalize and justify complicity in a horrendous nightmare. One commentator likened those years to putting an entire country into the hands of a serial killer. And in the end, Firestone's statement was that they were proud to have been an economic asset to Liberia? Adequate words escape me.

{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

Glad you watched it dooBs. What you wrote is so true. It was stomach turning. The matter of fact, even amused attitudes of the former Firestone executives was jaw dropping.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

On 11/20/2014 MomTo2Dogs said:

wow

I'm interested.

I just haven't had the time this morning to read it yet.

Honored Contributor

Glad you watched it dooBs. What you wrote is so true. It was stomach turning. The matter of fact, even amused attitudes of the former Firestone executives was jaw dropping.

I was going to say that, Gato. The smiles on their faces were part of the eeriness. I actually got chills seeing those smiles and hearing their "fond" remembrances of the way of life. It was like watching someone with absolutely no conscience.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

On 11/20/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:

wow

I'm interested.

I just haven't had the time this morning to read it yet.

Great. I was loosing hope lol

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

I read the story..............but............it flashed back to another article I had read and kinda re-enforced it............our government is being controlled by very large corporations.......public safety is being jeopardized..........the planet is being jeopardized.........all in the quest for the bottom line......for profit.......while OUR government does nothing to protect us and everything to advance the dollar and big business' profit margin............this article re-enforces it's a global deal................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Super Contributor

I'm interested. I watched it on KQED/PBS. Very scary but hardly surprising.

Respected Contributor

On 11/20/2014 Issiestorm said:

I'm interested. I watched it on KQED/PBS. Very scary but hardly surprising.

True

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____