Honored Contributor

It has been hot, very dry and windy the West resulting in a series of destructive forest fires.  Albuquerque was smoggy today and they were warning people with respiratory problems to stay inside due to fires in SW New Mexico and Arizona.  I can smell smoke in my house tonight, although the fires are far away.

Even hotter temps are expected in the near future so things will probably get worse before the monsoon rains (hopefully) arrive.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

On no! I hope the smoke won't bother your breathing too much. Take care-

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624      Yup.......and add Covid to the mix, and things are not looking too good.     di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 -

Oh no! I hate to hear this.

I hope you will be ok and all those near there.

It all seems so scary!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624  Yes...there is a lot of smoke here in SW Colorado.  We live in the middle of two fires going on right now.   I think they've gotten a handle on both of them as the winds have died down...I noticed yesterday that the clothes in my closet smelled of smoke.  

We are usually in Maine this time of year so we don't go thru fire season here.  We had to cancel this year as the regulations in Maine for tourists are very strict and we couldn't follow the quarantines...that's ok nice to know Maine is careful with the Covid.   Tourists are pouring in here and not abiding to the unenforced mandatory face mask ruling....DW

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

So sorry to hear this! Stay indoors as much as you can and STAY SAFE!!! 🤧

At the end of June Texas will get the Saharan Dust....Allergists are warning residents to be prepared.....Oh, but its supposed to also bring spectacular sunsets, like thats a consolation...Ive stocked up on tissues and Allegra....🤧

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I've never lived in the West. Isn't this fairly typical for them during this time of the year? Kind of like hurricanes in the South and tornados in the Midwest?

Honored Contributor

Seems things are piling on, one-by-one, doesn't it?  In my area, pollen has been off the charts and allergies are aggravated to the max, but thankfully we're not looking at fire hazards (so far) since we've had a fair amount of rain.   Prayers for all of you who are in the path of danger...   sending good vibes out there for you to be safe and well.   I hope you stay in touch so we'll know you, our friends, are okay.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

When fire season hits here in California, it could be even more disastrous in terms of loss and reduction of funds given the ongoing pandemic.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

I've never lived in the West. Isn't this fairly typical for them during this time of the year? Kind of like hurricanes in the South and tornados in the Midwest?

@RetRN   The intensity of fires in the summer depends largely on the snowpack the previous winter and when it melted.  We had a hot spring and it melted early.  Last year, just the opposite and fewer fires.  About the first of July, we normally start getting monsoon rains and that helps alleviate the problem.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment