Honored Contributor

Fires and mayhem in SoCal

[ Edited ]

Almost at the same time and place, we had a mass shooting of primarily young people and the outbreak of two fires that are now threatening vast areas and structures.

On my daily walk along our beach path, I could see the billowing smoke from both fires -- one in Ventura/West San Fernando Valley (my old stamping grounds) and the other raging westward toward Malibu.

Here is the list of all the incredible number of areas under mandatory evacuation:

MANDATORY EVACUATIONS
Woolsey Fire

- Entire city of Malibu, and areas south of 101 Freeway from Ventura County line to Las Virgenes / Malibu Cyn, southward to the ocean
- Entire community of Hidden Hills -- residents urged to take Valley Circle Blvd towards Chatsworth
- Monte Nido, Topanga communities
- Liberty Canyon west to Decker Canyon and south all the way to Pacific Coast Highway
- Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon on the east to Decker Canyon on the west all the way to Malibu at PCH
- All of Oak Park
- Bell Canyon: Saddlebow Road between Maverick Lane and Morgan Road
- Thousand Oaks Blvd. north to Sunset Hills, from Oak Park west to Highway 23
- South of Bard Lake, east of Highway 23
- West of Highway 23 - south of E. Olsen Road, north of Pederson Rd.
- South of Highway 101, east of Reino Rd., north of Potrero Rd., east to the L.A./Ventura County line
- Westlake Village

Hill Fire
- Point Mugu Naval Base
- Camarillo Springs
- Vallecito Trailer Park
- California State University Channel Islands

- Dos Vientos neighborhood

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: Fires and mayhem in SoCal

May all manage to stay safe.  This sounds like an inferno on Earth.

So sorry for all this horror thrown at this area at the same time.

Respected Contributor

I was just commenting on this elsewhere... and how horrible it is, @suzyQ3. 😰 

Stay safe, I pray ~ you and all of our CA members. 🙏

Honored Contributor

I hope you’re in a safe area. It’s difficult to fathom what’s happening. 

I was watching the weather channel when a deer ran out of the smoky woods trying to escape. He just took off running down the sidewalk.

Heart breaking and totally helpless to watch.

Honored Contributor

161FEB5C-D34B-49C8-BE7E-91844AA9077B.gif

@suzyQ3

I am feeling so very sorry for all of you witnessing the savagery of the shooting and now the furious destruction of the wild fires. 

I hate that besides the destructive forces of nature we must also endure unkindness of humans too. That could be prevented.❤️❤️

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

There have been so many horrible fires in California, I'm surprised there's anything left to burn.  We never hear anything about the people whose homes were destroyed once the fires are out.  I always wonder if they rebuild or do they move someplace else?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Very sad to see all the devastation. 

Land and housing  is available for those willing to relocate to other parts of the country.  I know how hard  and maybe impossible for many folks that  relocation would be, but how much punishment can one state endure  from Mother Nature?

Honored Contributor

I follow Kim Kardashian & Rich Roll on Instagram.

On their InstaStories, they both filmed being evacuated.

Mother Nature doesn’t care about socioeconomics.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's funny, but I didn't realize how affected I am by this double whammy until I started reading your very empathetic responses here. Thank you so much. My family is safe. We are approximately 35 miles south from one of the fires and close to 60 miles south from the other. 

The areas up in flames are so beautiful. The destruction is hard to comprehend, as of course is the senseless mowing down of innocents.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Please also keep the town of Paradise in your thoughts. This town in Northern California has been completely destroyed by the Camp fire with 5 fatalities. The high winds are sparking the fire. I live about ninety miles away and there is smoke in the air and the sun is bright orange.