Honored Contributor

Fingers Crossed QVC's Bob Mackie Wins a Tony for Best Costume Design of a Musical

[ Edited ]

Costume Design of a Musical

To the best of my research abilities, no one has ever won a Tony Award for costume design for a show in which the designer himself or herself is a character. This is hardly surprising, but it could change on Sunday night. Longtime costume designer Bob Mackie has been designing outfits for Cher (and dozens of other stars) for six decades, so it was quite … fitting …. that he would be chosen to do costume design on The Cher Show, and he has a 2/5 shot to win the Tony for his work.  ~ Ben Zauzmer

(It would be a wonderful honor for Bob Mackie if he wins.  I'd love this full-circle sort of recognition.  The past and the present become one. ~ Goldie76) 

Broadcast of the Tony awards will be Sunday night, June 9, on CBS.

Respected Contributor

Re: Fingers Crossed QVC's Bob Mackie Wins a Tony for Best Costume Design of a Musical

Nice!  Bob Mackie is very talented, I hope he wins this award too!

Honored Contributor

Re: Fingers Crossed QVC's Bob Mackie Wins a Tony for Best Costume Design of a Musical

Thank you, Beth.

I hope this happens, with all my heart.  I cannot imagine what all of you at QVC are wishing for because you know Mr. Mackie on a more personal level.  He is, I am certain, a true gentleman in every sense of the term.   Your hope for him must be burning hot.

Honored Contributor

He is such a genuinely nice guy, never involved in scandals or unpleasantness, plus he is so talented. I hope he wins

Honored Contributor

@golding76 

Bob Mackie has always WOW'D me with his Cher creations, going back to Sonny & Cher and beyond!

He'a a true fashion 'artist', IMO!

Hope he wins!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@golding76   Oh, Goldie, I hope so with all my heart!  Those costumes are magnificient!  Bob Mackie had arrange for Louis, Maria, Kate and Chantal to have house seats at The Cher Show.  Louis raved about the costumes and said Bob should be nominated for a Tony!

“THE CHER SHOW”

………………………Hi everyone………………….Yesterday was a special day! I met Maria, Kate and Chantal in NYC at noon at the Neil Simon Theater. We were seeing a Weds. matinee of “The Cher Show”. Bob Mackie was his usual wonderful self and got us all house seats!…….8th row orchestra right off the isle!! Before the 2:00pm curtain we went for a little brunch at Del Friscos Grill right down the block from the theater, and a half a block away from Rockefeller Center. We had a sunny booth and could see all of the people passing by. We had a great time. Yesterday was also the “TREE LIGHTING CEREMONY” Maybe some of you watched it on TV? We had the time to walk over and take a look and take some pics! There were so many people already and lots of security and metal fences. You could feel the excitement in the air…….As we were looking at the tree….it started to snow….Chantal said out loud exactly what I was thinking at that exact moment……”Jac is here with us and brought the snow”…….Jac is always with me, but it was nice to hear that we all were thinking the same thing…….One of Jac’s very favorite things was SNOW, and she would happily tell you that…………..Now about the show……..RUN….don’t walk to get tickets! It was a great show. There are three Chers from different periods of her life that tell her story, and they are all terrific…..Now the fourth STAR of the show is BOB MACKIE!!!!!! The costumes were MIND BLOWING……..If he doesn’t get the TONY AWARD for best costume….there is no justice in this world!!! I was astonished! The whole audience was astonished and the costumes got applause. He not only did the clothes for the 3 Stars, but he did all of the dancers and support players costumes too……….and the substitutes in case someone gets sick, because each costume has to be fit like a second skin…literally! If you remember Cher’s costumes you know what I mean! The audience gave a well deserved STANDING OVATION!. After we met Joe in front of the theater. He is Bob Mackie’s right hand, and is always with him. I’m sure many of you have seen him on QVC when he replaces Bob on certain shows. He is truly hilarious, and has stories upon stories! He had just left Bob at the hotel they have been staying at. They had a day of fittings for all of the substitutes, and it is exhausting work! The five of us went to a local bar for a hours worth of theater talk. It was lots of fun. Then we all went off on our way. The girls to PA and me to CT. Unfortunately, Angela wasn’t able to come. She had bookings at QVC that she couldn’t cancel. The whole idea of us going to see the Cher Show was Angela’s, so it really was too bad she couldn’t come…..next time……………….Monday…..Dec. 3rd is the official opening…..It will be fun to read the reviews………What ever they are…..take my word for it, and I’ve seen many many many shows………..this is not one to miss…………………………Happy Holidays………………………..much Love…………………………..Louis

Honored Contributor

I have my fingers and toes crossed.  I have many of his designs.  I always feel so good and happy (like when I wear Isaac's) when I look in the mirror.

This is one of the very few award shows I watch.  Sometimes I watch it (DVR) 2 times!

I'm totally in awe at the talent and the way these amazing people can put on so many shows a week.

I love everything about these awards and the people who entertain us.

I'm so looking forward to it tonight.  It's one of the few few things on TV that I will watch live (commercials and all).

Honored Contributor

Somertime,

Thank you for pulling in all those who had not read Louis Dell'Olio's glowing post on Bob Mackie and The Cher Show.  What a magnificent share!

Even other designers, i.e., Louis Dell'Olio, are hoping fervently that Bob Makie wins.

Annabel,

The show is not tonight; it will be broadcast tomorrow night, Sunday, June 9.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bob Mackie to  win the Tony this year. I was lucky enough to see The Cher Show as well as several other shows this year. Cher's costumes were amazing, familiar, and magic. Mr Mackie deserves this and more for his talent to execute his design and think them up in the first place. He has contributed to Cher being as iconic as she is.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

I too wish Bob Mackie an award for his designs.  He is a true gentleman, reserved,  dignified and with class. He deserves the award but whether or not he wins, he is still respected and admired by everyone in the design field and all of us , the public.  We wish him well!!!!