Honored Contributor

Re: Finding someone to fix things about the home

@SeaMaiden,  Do you live in CA?  I had that same problem when I live in CA.  I believe in CA you can sue if you have waited for the person to show up.  Cat Tongue

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@SeaMaiden,  Do you live in CA?  I had that same problem when I live in CA.  I believe in CA you can sue if you have waited for the person to show up.  Cat Tongue

@Katcat1  No, not CA.  Interesting that in cA you can sue....must cut down on all the flaky no shows?

Honored Contributor

@kivah ThankYou for sharing. Excellent post! 

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

Whenever we need something done around the house that DH or I can't do ourselves, we go straight to Angie's List.

Then we go through all the reviews and pick the best 2 or 3 and then get estimates, judge them on call backs/set up appts/etc.

This system has worked like a charm for us. We don't have the extra time or money for poor companies/workers.

@Susan Louise  I use Angie’s list like you....and have had several so called +A businesses that were less than “plus A”.  This gutter business was rated one of the best....and he could not even call me to say he was not going to make the appointment.

@SeaMaiden  Did you leave a poor review on Angie's List for possible future customers?

@Susan Louise No.  I suppose I could. 

@SeaMaiden  That's the whole point of the program. If someone doesn't deserve the rating they currently have, it gets adjusted. I'm surprised you haven't yet considering you pay to be a member of Angie's List.

You can't expect 2 or 3 people to carry the load for everyone and expect the ratings to remain true.

Are you sure you are a member of Angie's List?

Angie's List contacts you constantly to make sure you are 'clean' with your activity. They will contact you to make sure.

@Susan Louise  Yes, I am a member....but no one has ever called me before.  If they were calling me constantly I would quit being a member!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

Whenever we need something done around the house that DH or I can't do ourselves, we go straight to Angie's List.

Then we go through all the reviews and pick the best 2 or 3 and then get estimates, judge them on call backs/set up appts/etc.

This system has worked like a charm for us. We don't have the extra time or money for poor companies/workers.

@Susan Louise  I use Angie’s list like you....and have had several so called +A businesses that were less than “plus A”.  This gutter business was rated one of the best....and he could not even call me to say he was not going to make the appointment.

@SeaMaiden  Did you leave a poor review on Angie's List for possible future customers?

@Susan Louise No.  I suppose I could. 

@SeaMaiden  That's the whole point of the program. If someone doesn't deserve the rating they currently have, it gets adjusted. I'm surprised you haven't yet considering you pay to be a member of Angie's List.

You can't expect 2 or 3 people to carry the load for everyone and expect the ratings to remain true.

Are you sure you are a member of Angie's List?

Angie's List contacts you constantly to make sure you are 'clean' with your activity. They will contact you to make sure.

@Susan Louise  Yes, I am a member....but no one has ever called me before.  If they were calling me constantly I would quit being a member!

@SeaMaiden  Hmmmm...I don't know what else to tell you.  'If' you really know then how the program works, and what Angie's List expects from it's members, then you also know they will call you about particulars. We are glad we are members.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's impossible to find anybody to do things around the house.  I've used Angie's list and rarely have I even gotten a reply.  And, if you call around, and actually get somebody to come, they quote prices like they are brain surgeons!

The last two big projects in our house are redoing our basement, and replacing flooring on the main level of the house.  The prices we've been getting are insane!  So, as much as he doesn't want to do it, my husband will tackle these projects.  It's nothing he hasn't done before.  We just thought it would be nice to have somebody else do the work.  I can't help as much I used to, but I'll do what I can.  

You have to save money where you can, so that you'll have the money when there's a project that you absolutely can't do yourself.  And, I still have the dream of a sunroom added off of our living room.  We will have to hire someone to do that.

I also notice that some parts of the country are cheaper than others for home improvement work.  My SIL lives in Indianapolis and has a 7,000 sq ft home, with 10+ ft ceilings.  She had half of her home's interior painted for about $3500.  My daughter paid over $6000, here on the east coast, to have the interior of a 1700 sq ft home painted.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

the app/website called NEXTDOOR is a great resource for both those that provide services and those neighbors that recommend services. i have found a lot of reliable businesses via their website. my daughter has found some extra babysitting jobs that way also.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

Angies's List and Home Advisor prescreen all of the people they add to their respective websites. It is important to read the reviews and for big jobs, get 2-3 estimates from different companies. 

Finally, if your neighborhood or church has a website/ newsletter, you could reach out to them that way for recommendations. 

You are absolutely right!

Respected Contributor

I have given up. Just gonna let the house go because I cant find anyone to do smaller jobs, and larger jobs are ridiculously overpriced in my area, and noone is interested in doing a job for an honest price. Just my experience, but with a LOT of contractors. Used referrals. read reviews, did homework.... I just coldn't find anyone to do all the small jobs that need doing. Did find a guy to replace my mailbox that was backed into and plowed into the ground, (I think it was someone going in and out of neighbor across the street too dishonest to say so but I digress), and he gave me a fair price and did a great job ... at $250. Ahem.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@skuggles

I hear you about the contractors!  Shortly after we had some tile work done I dropped a plate on it and there was a small chip. No one, but no one would come to fix it.  They said it just wasn't worth it.  I had the tile and the grout.  They all said it was too small a job.  A couple guys said they would keep me in mind when things slowed down, but they never called..I have a series of jobs to do, each a small job.  i think I am going to see if I can hire a contractor to do them all.  But they want the big jobs that last a week for bigger money.  I will try again though.  Handy men are a thing of the past.  I think most of them work by word of mouth.  They don't have contractors licenses, because they do small jobs that are legal.  But sometimes people are real stingy with sharing their handy man out of fear they will need them😽😂